• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LHC puts supersymmetry in doubt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LHC puts supersymmetry in doubt

So wait a minute just wait a minute.

First we have: Higgs boson range narrows at European collider

Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider say a signal that suggested they might have seen "hints" of the long-sought Higgs boson particle has weakened. New results to be presented this week at a conference in India all but eliminate the mid-range where the Higgs - if it exists - might be found.
    Then: LHC puts supersymmetry in doubt

Results from the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) have all but killed the simplest version of an enticing theory of sub-atomic physics. Researchers failed to find evidence of so-called "supersymmetric" particles, which many physicists had hoped would plug holes in the current theory.
    Is the LHC working properly?!

Don't know what I find more incredible two theories that have been taught throughout europe for the past 20 years are now redundant.

Or that they were so readily accepted theories, so beautiful, how could they be wrong.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 27 August 2011, 10:27.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Or that they were so readily accepted theories, so beautiful, how could they be wrong.
    See Steady State versus Big Bang theory of how competing ideas can arise and then be discredited in the light of new advances

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

So wait a minute just wait a minute.

First we have: Higgs boson range narrows at European collider

Then: LHC puts supersymmetry in doubt

Is the LHC working properly?!

Don't know what I find more incredible two theories that have been taught throughout europe for the past 20 years are now redundant.

Have they tried switching it off and back on again?
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Have they tried switching it off and back on again?
        They turned it off for months

Is LHC finally up to full power yet?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You can only teach what is there.

I think you'll find that they aren't "accepted" at all, they are theories, and have been subjected to a vast amount of scrutiny, which includes the building of a multi billion pound physics experiment in order to test them. How else would you propose to tell if they describe reality or not?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            I think you'll find that they aren't "accepted" at all, they are theories, and have been subjected to a vast amount of scrutiny, which includes the building of a multi billion pound physics experiment in order to test them. How else would you propose to tell if they describe reality or not?
            Perhaps accepted was the wrong choice of words. What was written was meant to convey the readiness and dependance of theory in modern physics. Forever reliance on the unproven is used to further deepen our ideas.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Perhaps accepted was the wrong choice of words. What was written was meant to convey the readiness and dependance of theory in modern physics. Forever reliance on the unproven is used to further deepen our ideas.
              Well, yes, there is a lot of building on and fleshing out of unproven theories, but it's often in the form of developing alternatives to them. There are loads of theories that don't involve the higgs boson for example, and various flavours of string theory, CDT, Loop Quantum Gravity etc. Sadly a lot of them don't have any testable predictions yet.

If the theorists stopped to wait for every prediction to be tested before moving on to the next thing and making more strange predictions things would go very slowly (even slower) as it takes a long time and a lot of money to do these experiments.

I blame the media for hyping it up with all this "god particle" crap. Although it's good that physics is cool again, now we have media experts everywhere armed with a grade B at GCSE maths and a copy of new scientist telling us what's what without daring to use any actual maths (most of which is slightly head bending, to be fair)

I love this quote

Originally posted by Professor George Smoot, Nobel prizewinner for his work on the cosmic microwave background and one of the world's most respected physicists.
              "Supersymmetry is an extremely beautiful model,"

"It's got symmetry, it's super and it's been taught in Europe for decades as the correct model because it is so beautiful; but there's no experimental data to say that it is correct."
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The theory of Magic has never been disproved to my knowledge.

Comment

I think none of these models is taught as fact, only taught as the best model we have/had, and it's made clear empirical observations are essential.

It looks like all the LHC has done is ask more questions, rather than answer any - why can only be tremendously exciting for physics where people have tended to start thinking we might have things worked out. I'd love to see it drive a fresh enthusiasm for new researchers, knowing that there is still so much to answer.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

IMO, the only thing you can be sure about ATM, is that the more that is found out, the more we realise we don't know at all really. Personally, I find the multiverse theories fascinating.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X