• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank tellers loudly counting your money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank tellers loudly counting your money

In the bank yesterday, having to withdraw a large amount to pay a tradesman in cash (no VAT please - we're British"), I didn't care for the way the teller counted the money at top volume, two hundred, four hundred, .., with a long queue behind me. Suppose one of them was a robber, and followed me out of the bank to mug me?

Next time I'll start by handing the teller a discrete note saying "Just give me the money, and don't say anything". You can't be too careful ..
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    In the bank yesterday, having to withdraw a large amount to pay a tradesman in cash (no VAT please - we're British"), I didn't care for the way the teller counted the money at top volume, two hundred, four hundred, .., with a long queue behind me. Suppose one of them was a robber, and followed me out of the bank to mug me?

Next time I'll start by handing the teller a discrete note saying "Just give me the money, and don't say anything". You can't be too careful ..
    I had the same in the post office when changing currency. I think it's intended that you witness the counting so that there are no disagreements afterwards. I like your note idea though. Maybe you could also wear a balaclava so that the robbers won't be able to identify you outside the bank.

Comment

Next time I'll start by handing the teller a discrete note saying "Just give me the money, and don't say anything". ...
      That'll work!

I once took out 10'000 in cash. The teller started counting out the money, loudly, so I asked her to be a bit more discrete. She just smiled and said "Poverty isn't shameful in Switzerland, sir".
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        I had the same in the post office when changing currency. I think it's intended that you witness the counting so that there are no disagreements afterwards. I like your note idea though. Maybe you could also wear a balaclava so that the robbers won't be able to identify you outside the bank.
        And carry a gun just in case the robbers do identify you.
        Last edited by Zippy; 27 August 2011, 20:09.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Tell her you are a contractor and you like to count it out loudly when you get back to your desk.

Comment

Get in done in Turkish lira:

Cash Teller: "Ah, Mr Owlhoot, 100,000 lira, 200,00 lira, 300,000 lira, 400,000 lira, 500,000 lira, 600,000 lira, 700,000 lira, 800,000 lira, 900,000 lira, and finally your voucher for a honeydew melon".

Bargain.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Yes. Let us know how you get on with that.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                That'll work!

I once took out 10'000 in cash. The teller started counting out the money, loudly, so I asked her to be a bit more discrete. She just smiled and said "Poverty isn't shameful in Switzerland, sir".
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Fear not OH. No robber is gonna take a chance on mugging someone that can't go riding without a couple of shire horses to carry his bulk.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Fear not OH. No robber is gonna take a chance on mugging someone that can't go riding without a couple of shire horses to carry his bulk.

Oh! So you think the rumours of why the Dartington Shire horse centre had to close down may be true after all??

I thought it was an urban myth that a chubby IT contractor had caused them to have to have all of their horses put down.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X