• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Director with kids and an Ex - help please!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Director with kids and an Ex - help please!

Hi, to cut a long story short I'm after advice from anyone who's a Director of a Ltd Company and has experience of either the CSA or an ex that's being difficult.

I've always worked hard, never missed a days work, never sponged etc. I've recently sold the shares in my business and have now finished the hand over period, now I'm a free man. I'm taking some time off until something comes along. The proceeds from the sale have gone into my holding company (Ltd) which now has cash and a property, this is totally owned by myself and my wife.

I've got 2 kids by a long ago relationship, my ex is playing games and is stopping me from seeing them, brainwashing them with all sorts of lies etc. I pay her a good rate which was agreed between us when we split (never married her thank God) plus I sold her the house at a reduced rate in order to have a 'reasonable' chance of seeing my kids. Since I got married married she's made things very difficult, you know the type, jealousy and bitterness are horrible things. I've stuck to paying her what we agreed and have increased it every year as arranged, but now I'm not working or have a regular income - where does that leave me? I don't have a lavish life style, my current income is from savings during my working time but that will soon run out and I'll have to draw dividends to pay the mortgage etc. Myself and my wife (who keeps me together and I love very much) aim to draw a dividend of about £26K / £24K each respectively plus PAYE of around £100 p.w. each to avoid N.I.

The 'ex' is none the wiser at the moment but I don't think it'll take long before she realises I'm not going to work every day, she'll think the money from the sale has gone straight into my pocket. I think she's waiting for the moment to twist the knife and go for more money so I want to be ready when she does. I love my kids and don't want to see them going short, but she's gone out of her way to be unhelpful, it bugs me that I've ended up being a soft touch.

Has anyone had dealings with the CSA?
    Has anyone got any advice that might help me?
    Is it worth transferring more shares to my wife?
    Will my wife's income or dividends be taken into account?
    How long does the process take to sort out?
    I've heard that they don't take dividend income into account unless the parent with care asks for a 'variation' or if I'm obviously living beyond my means (Ferrari, Maserati etc - I wish!)
    I gather that most 'variations' can take years to look into and in most cases the CSA simply can't prove anything, nearly all of them get thrown out.

Any advice would be great, I wish things were easier but I'm at the and of my tether and need help!
    Thanks.

Play the game

how much are you paying her per month.?

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
      how much are you paying her per month.?
      £340 p.m.

Comment

How maintenance is calculated - Setting up child maintenance - Child Support Agency

You can also get the kids a few nights a week and that lowers the amount you pay so if you have the children 3 of 7 nights then the payment reduces by 3/7.

Personally I'd get a solicitor involved and make sure you get visitation rights and also sort the cash out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          How maintenance is calculated - Setting up child maintenance - Child Support Agency

You can also get the kids a few nights a week and that lowers the amount you pay so if you have the children 3 of 7 nights then the payment reduces by 3/7.

Personally I'd get a solicitor involved and make sure you get visitation rights and also sort the cash out.
          I've tried a solicitor, cost me £400 for advice about getting access to my kids but admitted it probably won't work, the courts can't do much if the mother refuses to play ball, she's stopped me seeing the kids and has made their lives a misery if they do come, long story but I'd love to have them 2/3 nights a week but it just isn't going to happen, its been 18 months since she's let me seen my youngest, kids believe whatever they are told sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by peedoff View Post
            £340 p.m.
            Wow contractor mate pays £400 a week for 2 kids that spend < 1 night a month with him

CSA have an online calculator

Comment

Originally posted by peedoff View Post
              I've tried a solicitor, cost me £400 for advice about getting access to my kids but admitted it probably won't work, the courts can't do much if the mother refuses to play ball, she's stopped me seeing the kids and has made their lives a misery if they do come, long story but I'd love to have them 2/3 nights a week but it just isn't going to happen, its been 18 months since she's let me seen my youngest, kids believe whatever they are told sometimes.
              Stop paying her then. If she wants to play it that way so can you.

The CSA will send you letters but if you ignore them they'll eventually feck up and leave you along for a few years.

As an aside if it was me I'd take them out of school one day then mysteriously disappear to a foreign country.

Comment

I got £250 a month for five kids....

Comment

Can you tell us the ages/sexes of the children?

IMO you should definetly be paying a fair share for the kids. Whether you see them or not. try to keep away from the CSA - buit as your income is reduced it might help to threaten your ex with going that route(she will get less as your income reduced and they take an admin fee).

Never ever use a family solicitor - especially over contact. They charge the earth and are less effective than doing it yourself. All you need to do is download form C1 and apply to court. You can get help from Families Need Fathers .

Also I suggest you ask around for advice until you get the advice you want to hear.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    Stop paying her then. If she wants to play it that way so can you.

The CSA will send you letters but if you ignore them they'll eventually feck up and leave you along for a few years.

As an aside if it was me I'd take them out of school one day then mysteriously disappear to a foreign country.
                    Is that a serious answer or are you trolling?

Comment

Working...
                    X