• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Norwegians relish annual Easter crime wave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norwegians relish annual Easter crime wave

Very odd

The bit that caught my eye though was this...

"The United Nations has rated Norway the best place to live in the world for the last five years. Oil revenues ensure its people are among the richest in the world and they enjoy one of the lowest crime rates.

Anyone been there? Is it really that good?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB
    Very odd

"The United Nations has rated Norway the best place to live in the world for the last five years. Oil revenues ensure its people are among the richest in the world and they enjoy one of the lowest crime rates.

Been there... I'm a sun loving Dalek so really Nordcap and cold don't really appeal - but it was good to see it - it's bearable when the sun shines but depressing when it's overcast

Booze is dear
    Women very nice if you like the Scandinavian look

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
      Very odd

Yes been loads of times. People friendly, pretty women, stunning scenery (try Svolvaer on the Lofotens), great skiing, great fishing, good music scene in Bergen and Oslo.

Downside - its expensive, beer £7.50 a pint or something equally ridiculous, have that strange scandinavian attitude to alchohol

Comment

I lived in Montreal for two years. Okay it's not Norway, but I suspect the climate is similar. Come December and snow storms descended. In Winter -15 C during the day was not unusual. -30 C at night was recorded. It's good for outdoor ice-skating, but too damn cold. By the time Spring comes everyone has cabin fever. The thaw comes and the place stinks of thawing dog poo. And skidoos and dead riders pop to the surface of thawing lakes. Summer is sweltering and too hot. Horrible climate. Give me the UK anyday.

My half brother lives in Finland. The Summer is late to arrive and short. Awful.

But Fins are friendly people. Norwegians probably are as well.

Comment

Nice scenery, but mostly boring.

Comment

I lived in Norway for a few years, but in the far south. Winters not so cold and summers delightful. Fantastic standard of living, friendly people. Stunningly beautiful. Highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
              I lived in Norway for a few years, but in the far south. Winters not so cold and summers delightful. Fantastic standard of living, friendly people. Stunningly beautiful. Highly recommended.
              The scenery reminded me of the North-West of Scotland and the Maine coast. Not surprising considering its the same mountains and fjords, split apart after formation. Climate not dissimilar either, i.e. not snow all the time (that's the Alps), beautiful when it's sunny but more cloud cover than you might like. Actually Maine gets the best deal out of that, being on the East coast; Norway, Scotland, and indeed far west Ireland having we(s)t coasts.

A bit like Ireland in that if you're travelling around in the country, you should abandon all ideas of how many miles you can do in a day; not eat too late, if you wait you may not have a chance; and you don't go shopping with a fixed idea of what you'll buy for dinner, you see what they've got.

Second all other comments too, beautiful countryside, nice people, alcohol ruinous...
              Last edited by expat; 12 April 2006, 18:09.

Comment

Prefer Iceland, meself...

They're all vikings over there still.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Hmm all sounds great apart from the beer. Whats the attitude to home brew over there?
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Lots of homebrew in Norway. I would hazard just about everything with a roof has a homebrew somewhere, and many people have completely illegal stills as well. Many many many years ago a party wasn't a good party unless there was someone left lying dead on the floor still holding their tankard ...
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X