• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An act of tax fairness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An act of tax fairness

Prostitutes working the streets of the old West German capital now have to buy tickets from converted roadside vending machines that once dispensed tickets to the city's drivers. A night's ticket will set a prostitute back £5.30, irrespective of the number of clients they have.

Like parking metres, the machines also tell users the times of day when a ticket is necessary: in this case between the hours of 8:15pm and 6am, Monday to Sunday.

Monika Frombgen, a spokeswoman for Bonn city council, said the ticket machines would bring street prostitutes into fiscal line with their peers in registered sex establishments.

"This is an act of tax fairness," she said. "Prostitutes in fixed establishments such as brothels and sauna clubs already pay tax." She added that with many street prostitutes foreign born previous attempts to tax them had floundered on a widespread inability to comprehend a German income tax form. The machines, Bonn hopes, will provide an easy-to-understand system of taxation.

Inspectors will prowl the streets and any prostitute caught without a ticket will receive a warning for a first offence, but after that faces the possibility of a fine or a ban from practicing prostitution.

This is the first time tax tickets have been sold on the streets in Germany.

Dortmund has a similar system but it requires prostitutes to buy tickets from petrol stations.

The ticket machines come as the latest step in Bonn's drive to increase tax revenue from prostitution as it wrestles with financial problems. Earlier this year the city introduced a "sex tax", and it expects the levy to raise annual revenue of £265,000 for the city's coffers.

Along with tickets, Bonn has also taken steps to control street prostitution following complaints from locals that their roads and gardens were being used as locations for sexual acts.

The city has banned prostitution from areas of the city, and allocated six closed-off parking places for the use of prostitutes and their clients.

Along with the location providing a certain amount of privacy, they also come with alarms a prostitute can trigger if she gets into trouble.

Source: Bonn prostitutes to use parking meters - Telegraph

-------

Stupid girlies should have registered on IoM using one of the many schemes and dodge tax completely. Just ask the client to make a deposit offshore instead and get it back in form of a loan.

Gives a whole new meaning to Pay & Display.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Clippy again
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Interesting that the scheme was founded on the principle that those offering their services was due to their ""lack of comprehending German Tax Forms " - I would guess they could be contemplating a similar scheme for the UK contractors/GastArbieters ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            "This is an act of tax fairness," she said. "Prostitutes in fixed establishments such as brothels and sauna clubs already pay tax."
            At least this way, the German Hector will get more buck for his bang!!!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I might just apply for a job as a tax inspector "give us a freebie love and I'll ignore your tax liability"
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Just ask the client to make a deposit offshore instead and get it back in form of a loan.
                I suspect the average client is looking to make a deposit somewhere closer to home.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Clippy again
                  I don't
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Inspectors will prowlcrawl the streets and any prostitute caught without a ticket will receive a warning for a first offence, but after that faces the possibility of a fine or a ban from practicing prostitution.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X