• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greenhouse Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greenhouse Recommendations

It's time for a new greenhouse. The old wooden one I inherited with my house has all but rotted away.

The question is metal frame or yew? And what are the relative advantages of wood over metal given the huge price differential?

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    It's time for a new greenhouse. The old wooden one I inherited with my house has all but rotted away.

The question is metal frame or yew? And what are the relative advantages of wood over metal given the huge price differential?
    Maintenance and longevity.

Comment

Buy a V8 and rely on "The greenhouse effect".

Comment

Mint, Jade or Pistachio green
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Maintenance and longevity.
          I'd have thought there'd have been more maintenance with a wooden one. As for longevity, aluminum doesn't rot so the only advantage I can think of is purely aesthetic.

That said, there must be other advantages of wood over metal.

Comment

Are wooden greenhouses not made of red cedar as it doesn't require varnishing/painting?
            If you can justify the expense, they are really lovely.
            Back at the coal face

Comment

That said, there must be other advantages of wood over metal.
              Nope. Not really, unless you are a pretentious twat.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

We've just been through the same exercise and I'm currently halfway through constructing a greenhouse. Just got the sides and fitting out to do.

After much research we bought An Elite aluminium framed Vantage 10'5 x 7'3 with the Pembroke package as described here.

We're very pleased with it. Instructions are accurate, all the bits are there and it's very good quality.

There's no way I'd buy a wooden one. With an aluminium one you just put it up and that's it. The last thing I want to do is have to treat it every couple of years.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

As has been said, wooden look nicer but a lot more expensive and hastle. Ours is supposed to be treated every year. Also never quite so precisely made, so doors bit stiffer to move, windows might not close so tightly etc. Plus no gutters, you have to fit those yourself. Probably a pain if you need to replace a pane too.

A plus though, if you have enough space, it can be a pleasant place to sit and drink wine on those cool but sunny days.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It's time for a new greenhouse. The old wooden one I inherited with my house has fallen down in the last storm and I am making an insurace claim. The question is metal frame or yew? And what are the relative advantages of wood over metal given the huge price differential?
                    FTFY
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X