• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Carnival Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carnival Time

Me and the crew from the pub have decided to enter our local village carnival.

Theme is going to be mowers down the ages. Think we can make a reasonable fist of it given that we have 20 mowers between the 6 of us.

Think we shall send somebody brandishing a scythe at the head of the cavalcade followed by the kids with a set of push mowers. Then shall follow an assortment of motorized cylinder and rotary mowers with me bringing up the rear on my gang mower.

Can't wait. Incidentally, did you know that carnival is derived from the Latin carne vale (goodbye meat) (since carnival is normally a precursor to Lent)?

I don't know where the English tradition of Autumn carnivals comes from.

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

Theme is going to be mowers down the ages. Think we can make a reasonable fist of it given that we have 20 mowers between the 6 of us.

Think we shall send somebody brandishing a scythe at the head of the cavalcade followed by the kids with a set of push mowers. Then shall follow an assortment of motorized cylinder and rotary mowers with me bringing up the rear on my gang mower.

Can't wait. Incidentally, did you know that carnival is derived from the Latin carne vale (goodbye meat) (since carnival is normally a precursor to Lent)?

Probably from St Autumnus, the patron saint of grasscutting and dreary bastards?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Or it's actually a Harvest Festival and not a carnival
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

The Grim Reaper?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Or it's actually a Harvest Festival and not a carnival
          No they're carnivals down here. All the villages and small towns have them.

Some of them, particularly Misnomer Sorting and Bridgwater are in a very grand scale indeed with floats more fitting of the Sambodromo rather then a Rust Country high street.

Comment

No they're carnivals down here. All the villages and small towns have them.

Some of them, particularly Misnomer Sorting and Bridgwater are in a very grand scale indeed with floats more fitting of the Sambodromo rather then a Rust Country high street.
            where?
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

where?
              Midsomer Norton and Bridgwater

Comment

where?
                I think he might mean Midsomer Norton. He may have a point there though, I believe they still eat their dead in that part of Somerset. Their carnival must run along the lines of Shaun of the Dead!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  I think he might mean Midsomer Norton. He may have a point there though, I believe they still eat their dead in that part of Somerset. Their carnival must run along the lines of Shaun of the Dead!!

If its anywhere like the village carnivals I went to in Kent try and be the carnival queen. Initially I couldn't understand why the carnival queen was in a mess cage until the losers arrived and started to lob filed coins and (probably) razor blades at the winner.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Probably from St Autumnus, the patron saint of grasscutting and dreary bastards?

Do I qualify for owning a book entitled "50 years of garden machinery?"

Edit: and two old mowers, obviously
                    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 31 August 2011, 22:05. Reason: Reason for Editing:

Comment

Working...
                    X