• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

R.I.P. Tony Sale, rebuilder of Colossus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R.I.P. Tony Sale, rebuilder of Colossus

Aunty

Tony Sale, the brilliant engineer who led the rebuild of Colossus, the first modern computer, has died aged 80.

The mammoth project to recreate the code-cracking Colossus capped a career built around electronics and computers.

Most recently, Mr Sale drove the campaign to save Bletchley Park, where Colossus aided Allied code-cracking efforts during World War II.

At Bletchley he also founded the National Museum of Computing to help preserve the UK's ageing computers.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

RIP. His efforts won't be forgotten.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Something else dies, freedom.

BBC News - The 60W bulb: A luminary love affair

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        That might explain why I couldn't find any 60W bulbs last time I looked.

I'm now using a 40W bulb in my home office ceiling, plus another 40W for a desk lamp.

That's saving energy?
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
        X