• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Carrier bag 5p levy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carrier bag 5p levy

They're starting it over here in the Land of My Fathers soon.

I have no problem with paying an extra couple of pence for a bag but as usual they have made it overly complicated so it will just fu<k things up.

There are potential areas of confusion. For example, if you pick up prescription medication at a chemist then you won't have to pay for the bag as it's exempted.

But if you pay for a bottle of shampoo at the same time at the check out, then you will have to pay 5p.

Another exemption is unwrapped or partially unwrapped food.

So if you go to a fast food restaurant and order fries you won't have to pay for the bag but you will pay if you order a burger with the fries because the burger is fully wrapped.

An exemption only applies if exempted items are the only products in the bag.

I prefer the system at my old Dutch supermarket. You could either buy a strong reusable bag woven plastic and very cheap or you put money in a machine to buy a re-usable plastic bag. I hate the thin rubbishy supermarket bags but I like the paper bags at Primark… (where a friend of mine shops and told me about them)
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Here is what I don't like:

1) asking me if I want usual bags or bags for life

2) asking me how many bags I'll need before I finish packing

FFS

Comment

I'm going to go on Dragon's Den with my Bag In A Pocket idea, following hot on the heels of that bird that got investment the other night for her Bog In A Bag idea.

I've patented the concept of black bags packaged tightly so they fit in a back pocket.

The real money will be in the refill packs, as it will be impossible to repack the bags into such a small profile once opened.
        Last edited by PAH; 1 September 2011, 12:15.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          I'm going to go on Dragon's Den with my Bag In A Pocket idea, following hot on the heels of that bird that got investment the other night for her Bog In A Bag idea.

I've patented the concept of black bags packaged tightly so they fit in a back pocket.

The real money will be in the refill packs, as it will be impossible to repack the bags into such a small profile once opened.
          I've already got one of those. It's say 5 litre capacity (not checked) and made out of some kind of fabric. I often take it camping with me since it squashes into it's own tiny stuff sack, much smaller than a fist. Say half a fist. Never got around to using it though. I also take bin liners which are useful and fold into nothing. Plus a few zip lock bags, as these likewise fold into nothing. My passport ends up in one if I'm expecting damp. Surprisingly the latter even survive being be employed as a pillow. I also use them to store rubbish until I find a bin :halo emoticon:

Comment

I generally just take my rucksack with me. Much easier to carry if you're walking and have a lot of bottles, jars or tins to carry.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

In Germany I carry one of those cloth bags all the time.

In the UK the wife has a nylon bag from our local Decathlon store that stuffs in a plastic ball. Its like a wizards sleeve it holds so much.
              Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                I've already got one of those.

I'm taking the Apple approach to prior art. It's not who invented it, it's who blags the patent.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

It seems to work pretty well in Ireland.

Comment

When I was a little child in the 80s we use to have to pay to get carrier bags with our shopping from the supermarket.

I remember because I use to get told off for screwing them up as my mum use to fold them neatly so they could be reused.

I don't understand what the big deal is as the thin carrier bags are tulip to reuse unless you are using them for rubbish.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X