• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Transferred money - mistake in sort code -Yes Im stupid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferred money - mistake in sort code -Yes Im stupid

Transferred money from business account to personal account but got sort code wrong. Dont ask me how.

So payment never arrived (as expected). Spoke to bank and luckily, the sort code I entered is an invalid one so it should be bounced back. Also, checked using online checker and the sort code/acc no combo is invalid.

Bit worrying though if it had been a valid account no. I always thought the account name was checked too to make sure it matched (to stop stupid people like me)?

Seems a bit too easy for dull people to screw it up....

Lucky this time because it looks like I've just got to wait for the money to be bounced back..
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Transferred money from business account to personal account but got sort code wrong. Dont ask me how.

So payment never arrived (as expected). Spoke to bank and luckily, the sort code I entered is an invalid one so it should be bounced back. Also, checked using online checker and the sort code/acc no combo is invalid.

Bit worrying though if it had been a valid account no. I always thought the account name was checked too to make sure it matched (to stop stupid people like me)?

Seems a bit too easy for dull people to screw it up....

Lucky this time because it looks like I've just got to wait for the money to be bounced back..
    The account name is checked against the account number, the number is checked against the sort code. Numbers and sort codes are unique so you will never get a situation where you have the same account number against two sort codes.

You would have to have got the account number *and* sort code wrong, and hit on a valid combination of the two for the money to go astray.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Are you actually asking a question here or just embarrassing yourself further on an internet forum?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        You would have to have got the account number *and* sort code wrong, and hit on a valid combination of the two for the money to go astray.
        That being said, I did once put the wrong account number on my invoice, but with the correct sort code and it didn't 'bounce'. Not sure where that ended up, consultancy in question paid me anyway and I left it to them to sort out...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Are you actually asking a question here or just embarrassing yourself further on an internet forum?
          NLUK - I would like to point out this is posted on a professional forum and that I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from making personal comments.

Comment

The account name is checked against the account number, the number is checked against the sort code. Numbers and sort codes are unique so you will never get a situation where you have the same account number against two sort codes.

Now I didnt know that about account numbers and sort codes. Hmmm. 8 digit account number gives 99 million total. Are you sure there arent any duplicates in here? Thinking 50 off million people in the UK, multiple accounts etc. Wonder whos got 00000001 then? :-)

I always thought the name was checked too. That would make sense. But apparently most of the banks dont bother now...

Comment

Now I didnt know that about account numbers and sort codes. Hmmm. 8 digit account number gives 99 million total. Are you sure there arent any duplicates in here? Thinking 50 off million people in the UK, multiple accounts etc. Wonder whos got 00000001 then? :-)

I always thought the name was checked too. That would make sense. But apparently most of the banks dont bother now...
              Account numbers aren't assigned randomly... I believe it's from an algorithm that uses the sort code and some detail from yourself plus a bit of randomness - anyway as a result different banks could not assign the same account number.

Isn't this a riveting thread...

Comment

NLUK - I would like to point out this is posted on a professional forum and that I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from making personal comments.
                I could point the same out and suggest this went in General or on Mumsnet.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by andyc2000 View Post
                  Account numbers aren't assigned randomly... I believe it's from an algorithm that uses the sort code and some detail from yourself plus a bit of randomness - anyway as a result different banks could not assign the same account number.

Isn't this a riveting thread...
                  They also use Modulus-11 checks for the last digit.

No, it isn't...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Are you sure the same account number can never exist against multiple sort codes? I've got one account which has two sort codes, since the bank was taken over... now the old bank' sort-code still works but the new bank have their own sort code.
                    A special case admittedly...

I also worry about typing the wrong number, it would be so easy to do!
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X