• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Commission Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Commission Rates

I've just gone back contracting after 10 years on the payroll and am interested to find out what the average agency cut of the deal is. The agent didn't find me the job but the company insisted they only deal with agents and recommended one to me. All the commercials were negotiated through this agent and I was far from happy with the final offer but didn't really have a choice so took the job.

Because I'm the project manager I now know what I'm being charged out at and found that the agent is taking 40% - YES 40% of the fee!! I'm due to be offerred a 12 month contract extension in the next few weeks and would like to change to an agent who, shall we say, is more reasonable.

Does anyone know what an average cut is and can anyone recommend an agent who would be happy to take a reasonable cut for not having to do any searching for me!

Thanks
    Last edited by realityhack; 2 September 2011, 17:28. Reason: Name removed

Originally posted by Flyer View Post
    I've just gone back contracting after 10 years on the payroll and am interested to find out what the average agency cut of the deal is. The agent didn't find me the job but the company insisted they only deal with agents and recommended one to me. All the commercials were negotiated through this agent and I was far from happy with the final offer but didn't really have a choice so took the job.

Because I'm the project manager I now know what I'm being charged out at and found that the agent is taking 40% - YES 40% of the fee!! I'm due to be offerred a 12 month contract extension in the next few weeks and would like to change to an agent who, shall we say, is more reasonable.

Does anyone know what an average cut is and can anyone recommend an agent who would be happy to take a reasonable cut for not having to do any searching for me!

Thanks
    40% is reasonable.

HTH

Dodgy Agent
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Have you tried bleeding the radiators?

Comment

My last clientco had a policy of 15%. No exceptions.

Comment

Do you like films about gladiators?

Comment

Hi Realityhack
            What do you mean by your last 'client'? I'd be happy to pay an agent 15%

Comment

I now know what I'm being charged out at and found that the agent is taking 40% - YES 40% of the fee!! I'm due to be offerred a 12 month contract extension in the next few weeks and would like to change to an agent who, shall we say, is more reasonable.

Think of the agents for a moment, if everyone went direct then how would they feed their children?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Think of the agents for a moment, if everyone went direct then how would they feed their children?!?!
                Agents don't have children, they spawn little resources

Comment

My issue is that the agent has had to do nothing to get this. I went direct to the company, found the job, got the interview and was offered the job. My skills have got me an extension, all the agent has done is taken the money and paid me whats left each week. They wouldn't budge on the rate even though this has been handed to them on a plate. This is what I mean by being reasonable. There must be an agent out there who's willing to take a smaller percentage for doing virtually nothing!

Comment

Hi Realityhack
                    What do you mean by your last 'client'? I'd be happy to pay an agent 15%
                    Was contracting to a High St bank, a division of which had a policy that agencies' cuts were <15%.

Comment

Working...
                    X