• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else in receipt of a threatening letter from the tax man lately?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else in receipt of a threatening letter from the tax man lately?

Got my second letter yesterday threatening me with court proceedings, of course I usually ignore these things and pass them off to the accountant but the good lady got one in the post and everyone in her work got one as well.

Any idea of the contents of the letter?

Do you work for a more "elaborate" payment structure or just a std Lrd.

Comment

Got any foreign accounts you haven't been declaring the interest on?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

No Ive had an accountant do my tax return for 15 years. I thought only PAYE people got asked for money. You been a permie Soupy?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Got my second letter yesterday threatening me with court proceedings, of course I usually ignore these things and pass them off to the accountant but the good lady got one in the post and everyone in her work got one as well.
          She's a doctor isnt she ? what type of organisation does she work for ?
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Just reading about that

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Taxmen target middle classes in crackdown on tax cheats

PS Not that I necessarily agree with use of "cheats"
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              No Ive had an accountant do my tax return for 15 years.
              Hopefully not the same one as does your VAT returns.

Comment

Originally posted by stupid-newspaper
                letters were sent out warning that evidence of tax avoidance had been *discovered. HMRC says it is considering a number of criminal prosecutions in the sector

Also, government invested an additional £900m in HMRC which yields a £600m return. Brilliant!

Perhaps if HMRC didn't let folks like Vodafone off a billion in tax .... oh FFS I can't even be arsed to rant.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  .... oh FFS I can't even be arsed to rant.
                  Happens to all of us.

Comment

I got one from the Council regarding the single occupancy 'discount'. More than one actually, they send me one every 3 or 4 weeks and I've had 4 or 5 now. I've replied by email, telephone and by letter. They threaten to remove my discount if I don't reply with 2 weeks each time, claiming there are other people living with me. Odd letters they are too, as if written by a bunch of con artists. In their last letter they invented a non-Anglo Saxon name and also sent a letter to him or her at my address. I've replied telling them not to keep threatening me, inventing names and that if I receive another will complain to the Local Government Ombudsman, for all the good that's likely to do. They seem to be the law unto themselves. What's annoying is that's it takes little effort on their part, it's all automatic, whereas I have to spend time on replies. I'll see if I can get them to expend some time and effort too.

Comment

Working...
                    X