• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retainer fees - does anyone here offer their services in such a manner?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retainer fees - does anyone here offer their services in such a manner?

Have been approached for some ad-hoc consultancy work however it is largely based on my spare capacity. Working with concurrent projects. Thinking of offering 30 on-site days for >40k per year whilst being available to support off-site for a similar amount of time. Anyone in here have success in marketing themselves this way? Experiences to speak of? What could have they done differently?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

I do this currently.

I generally have one main client, who I generally do 40 hours a week for (give or take).

I also do work for others that I fit around the first client work. Now I am rarely expected to be anywhere on site for a set number of days but I like doing the work as it very good from an IR35 perspective.

However what I've found is that all clients (sometimes 3) all want me somewhere on the same day so you need to account for that. Also all my clients know that I do this I don't try to keep anything secret. You have to have pretty solid rules about who your billing for what and when so people don't think they are being short changed.

Comment

I did this for about 7 years for an American firm. I had my primary contracts which I always tried to get as part time ('ish) and could get time off when required. I always made a point though that they were the primary client and would not let the other stuff get in the way. With the Americans I was paid a monthly retainer plus monthly expenses (I used to charge everything to them from office supplies to my Internet connection) and when needed on a customer site I would charge them a weekly flat rate plus all expenses (hotel, travel, etc.)
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Thanks.

Also all my clients know that I do this I don't try to keep anything secret.
        Well the action is not deliberate, clients come and go, I've not been secretive about that. All that changed is the possibility things are picking up in a way I never anticipated before. Suddenly I'm uncomfortable about that but at the same time don't want to turn away consultancy work. Could find myself using the airport more often than I like; then it all sounds exciting.

Price is a sticking point. How do you price from 'providing a daily service, analysis etc' to 'strategic advice on what analysis to perform in the first place'. The numbers I'm coming up with seem silly that's why the retainer came to mind. There's no guarantee the client shall use that time I set aside for them so they buy that capacity outright.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Price is a sticking point. How do you price from 'providing a daily service, analysis etc' to 'strategic advice on what analysis to perform in the first place'. The numbers I'm coming up with seem silly that's why the retainer came to mind. There's no guarantee the client shall use that time I set aside for them so they buy that capacity outright.
          I charge my normal daily rate - but I don't charge a retainer. So if I do x days I get x pay. The trick here is to send each client co a bill for the same day. I can do 5 "days" of work in around 3 by just not messing around. But I can spread that over 5 days adn leave myself 2 more billing days so can bill 7 days per calendar week. If that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
          X