• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hard Times

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Times

Well, it's holiday time once again and Malc and I are on a camping holiday on the scowling face of West Scotland.

As ever, I shall be reporing back on my antics and this year's focus is on recession hit businesses and their efforts to diversify in these times of economic hardship.

So, on Sunday, fortified with a warming mug of slippery elm, we set out from the campsite along the cliff path to the town of Mallaig where Norman Dickie has been running The Saratoga Trunk Cowboy Bar for the past 10 years.

Times have been tough, Norman told us, citing swingeing health and safety regulations proscribing activities involving the use of bullwhips and other assorted weaponry.

In the face of this adversity, Norman has invested in a sideshow with which he tours local fetes and fayres. As luck would have it, the annual sheep fair was due to take place that very afternoon and we were invited along to experience Norman's new sideline in action.

After spending some time wandering among the fete's various stalls and marquees, we found ourselves in a tent observing the tallest man in Scotland - a drunk in a kilt spreadeagled on the floor of a makeshift boxing ring littered with empty cans of Youngers Tartan. On staggering to his feet to greet us, he appeared to be only an inch taller than Malc and I. Assuming that this set the standard, We declined the invitation to see the bearded lady thinking that the Brown Owl from our local scout troop would probably be more deserving of the epithet.

At the allotted time for our appointment With Mr Dickie, we found him waiting for us at the entrance of his piece de resistance, a converted Laser Quest dome, with a burly pair of local sheep shearers against whom
    we were to pit ourselves in combat.

We were invited to remove our clothes and take the tablets that Norman proffered us. Noticing the distinctive Pfizer brand stamped on said tablets, I enquired as to what the necessity was for such a stimulant.

With a flick of a switch, all was revealed in bright neon lights "The Large Hardon Collider" (excuse me, EO).

The regulars at the Saratoga Trunk love it by all accounts and it keeps the wolf from his door in these hard times. Malc and I declined the offer instead preferring to keep the pills so we could partake in the neighbouring quoit-a-thon.
    Last edited by gricerboy; 5 September 2011, 11:14.

I thought you'd f#cked off in a sulk?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

now I know who you are. you bugger

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Hard times indeed...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

now I know who you are. you bugger

OE do tell
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Don't pass up the opportunity to go to Priddy Sheep Fair if you ever get the chance.

Full of proper country characters and they always have an array of agricultural vehicles from down the years.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
              Don't pass up the opportunity to go to Priddy Sheep Fair if you ever get the chance.

Full of proper country characters and they always have an array of agricultural vehicles from down the years.
              Oo arr, Priddy Sheep Fair, where the men are men and the sheep are bloody scared

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Oo arr, Priddy Sheep Fair, where the men are men and the sheep are bloody scared

Looks like a day out with the Peak Army

Comment

How is the camping holiday progressing, gricer?

The weather has been atrocious up there, according to reports, with plenty more to come. I've camped in similar weather myself, and it isn't as much fun as one might think.

On one occasion, being young and inexperienced, two friends and I pitched our cosy three-man ridge tent over a conveniently-sized trench, the idea being that we could stand up in it to stretch our legs instead of venturing outside. Unfortunately, during the night the inevitable happened and the hole started filling with rain water. We all tried to ignore it by rolling in our sleeping bags onto the points of 'higher ground', but there wasn't enough room. Re-pitching in the dark and in the rain was no fun I can assure you!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    How is the camping holiday progressing, gricer?

The weather has been atrocious up there, according to reports, with plenty more to come. I've camped in similar weather myself, and it isn't as much fun as one might think.
                    Malc and I have been whiling away the time playing "French cricket" with a couple of chaps from New Zealand in the tent next door.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Re-pitching in the dark and in the rain was no fun I can assure you!
                    No, a lot of squelching and uncoordinated fumbling before you finally get it up.

Comment

Working...
                    X