• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

firstbuy / homebuy first time buyer scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firstbuy / homebuy first time buyer scheme

have any contractors used these gov first time buyer schemes?

i think house prices will fall further (a complete collapse has only been avoided by ridiculously low interest rates) so it looks like a good way of getting the government (effectively) to take the risk. If they own 75% of your mortgage and the market crashes and you sell, they are taking the most of the hit.

so, has anyone used the scheme?
    i think you have to be earning below 60K per year so not sure how they would treat non IR35 contractor earnings?

This doesn't make sense to me at all but could be because I don't understand the scheme but why would a contractor want to take an option designed for people that can't afford their own homes? The whole idea of contracting is to be rich so why would you not get yourself a mortgage and start paying the house off.

That aside when they look at your income they will take divis in to account so will be extremely difficult to be eligible.

Whatever the housing market is going to be like in the future I am a big believer that you get your house sorted first as it is long term and it is your home. Even if I didn't have a house but the ability to buy one I would get my own house. I aint letting the gov own 75% of my home!!!!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

thanks for the reply. i could definately get into a debate about the risks to your capital when buying in london with prices still high but i really just want to find out if anyone has used the scheme? ...

Comment

I looked into a similar sounding scheme earlier in the year.

Obviously they will differ but the deal breaker for me was the price of the property I was interested in was fixed and they would not (could not, if you believe the developer) go into negotiations.

Needless to say the property was grossly overpriced in my opinion based on the current climate.

My advice is to look at repositions - I picked up a property that was first sold in 2005 for £300,000 for £240,000 this year.

EDIT: Pretty sure that’s the same scheme I looked at.

Yes, you can mitigate some of the risk of house prices falling if the property you are looking at is priced well in the first instance. Check it out but I'm sure you can't haggle with regards to price.

The other down side is if the value of the property goes up so does the amount you have to repay when you sell or wish to buy a larger percentage of the property, although relativley speaking the percentages stay the same.
        Last edited by Mister Clark; 5 September 2011, 15:12.

Comment

so as long as you don't take more than 60K in salary and divs then you qualify? so these schemes are open to contractors then?

I'm not quite with you ... if the price goes up and you sell, you get the increased amount as your % is still the same. so you can pay off the original mortgage and pocket the extra?

moot point really as prices are only going to go down. yeh i will start looking at repos and BMV ... its the only part of the housing market thats going to grow

Comment

What's a mortgage?
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
              so as long as you don't take more than 60K in salary and divs then you qualify? so these schemes are open to contractors then?
              If you are going to come up with some hair brained scheme why don't you look in to the details first? I don't know anything about this type of thing but I would have thought it was to help people get on the property ladder and a 60K income doesn't strike me as someone that needs help on the property ladder. Could be wrong but you are the intereted one so go read up on it.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm not quite with you ... if the price goes up and you sell, you get the increased amount as your % is still the same. so you can pay off the original mortgage and pocket the extra?
                Yes.
                moot point really as prices are only going to go down. yeh i will start looking at repos and BMV ... its the only part of the housing market thats going to grow
                No.
                House prices continue to climb, esp so in London and for prime properties:

House Price Index | House Price Trends & News | Primelocation

Think you need to do more research.

It also depends on how you look at the property, if its a long term investment then historically house prices double (approx) every ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Clark View Post
                  Yes.

No.
                  House prices continue to climb, esp so in London and for prime properties:

House Price Index | House Price Trends & News | Primelocation

Think you need to do more research.

It also depends on how you look at the property, if its a long term investment then historically house prices double (approx) every ten years.
                  couldn't agree more ... more research is needed. heres some for you... in terms of a consistant measure of value (ie gold) prices have already crashed ... big time.

Britain's secret house price crash - MoneyWeek

past performance is not an indicator of future performance ... the era of house prices doubling every ten years are gone. We are turning into Japan

Comment

past performance is not an indicator of future performance ... the era of house prices doubling every ten years are gone. We are turning into Japan
                    This isn't the first property boom followed by a bust we have had in the UK. There was one in the late 80s/early 90s, so I expect another one to be had in another 10 years. The only way to stop them is increased house building of properties that aren't cramped one/two bedroom.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X