• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day trading and capital gains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day trading and capital gains

Just got my self assessment back from my accountants and they've but a note on to the tune of 'MF just so you know the way you are trading (day trading) is considered taxable income by HMRC and will not count towards your capital gains as they consider that you are working as a 'trader'.

Just done some Google searches and it appears they are correct!!

So what's the deal here? Since when did you have to keep stocks for more than a few days at a time to count towards Capital Gains!!!mad
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Just got my self assessment back from my accountants and they've but a note on to the tune of 'MF just so you know the way you are trading (day trading) is considered taxable income by HMRC and will not count towards your capital gains as they consider that you are working as a 'trader'.

So what's the deal here? Since when did you have to keep stocks for more than a few days at a time to count towards Capital Gains!!!mad

Sounds BS. Got some links?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Sounds BS. Got some links?
      day trading and capital gains/losses | Trade2Win Forums

day trading and capital gains - Google Search=

Loads.

Fricking, frickety, frick frick!

(It even says. The temptation to trade in and out in a bear market will be considered taxable income!!!!)
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You´ll probably find it´s always been the case. My experience is in the countries I´ve worked in they differentiate between trading as a business, i.e. frequent trading and buying and selling derivatives, and private investments, where you keep shares for a year. Then there is a grey area inbetween. One of the reasons that´s put me off day trading, as they might decide to tax the whole lot as a trading business. It depends to some extent on how much you make.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 5 September 2011, 16:46.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Well, this only proves that DimPrawn is right using gambling tulip - 0% tax, probably same results!

Comment

Kind of makes sense - the lower rate of tax for CGT is to reward investment - day trading is hardly investing in the enterprise of an organisation, especially if you are shorting.

Comment

So if you trade on weekends, then it's ok?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

You really are an eegit aren't you?
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I think the same rules apply to spread betting (rinky-dinky-linky).

So the real question is - does that tat shop make enough to live on?
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    I think the same rules apply to spread betting (rinky-dinky-linky).

So the real question is - does that tat shop make enough to live on?
                    If you read that, you'll see that you only lose the tax free status of spreadbetting if you have no other forms of income and hance aren't paying any tax.

So to summarise, get some BTL's, pay some tax on the rental income and make your real living "gambling" on forex.

Boomed!

Comment

Working...
                    X