• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great Britain is causing the biggest problem.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Britain is causing the biggest problem.

What's he on about then?

SPIEGEL Interview with Gerhard Schröder: 'Europe Needs to Wake Up' - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Schröder: That would have been an untenable position vis-à-vis the Eastern Europeans, who suffered for almost five decades under the division of Europe and oppression. A German position of this sort would have been unthinkable, especially toward Poland. These are European countries, just as the Western Balkans are part of Europe. But we can't say to the Serbs today: Just wait a while. And the real problems aren't even coming from these new member states.

SPIEGEL: Then where are they coming from?

Schröder: Great Britain is causing the biggest problem. Great Britain is not part of the euro, and yet the British always want to have their say in the design of an economic zone. This is inconsistent. And besides, the British have been very skeptical about every integration step, and that's putting it very diplomatically.

SPIEGEL: In reality they've been obstructionists?

Schröder: Yes. I was originally of the opinion that Great Britain could be treated like France. But what was overlooked, also by myself, is that Great Britain still sees itself in a sort of middle position between the United States on one side and Europe on the other. In other words, it's in an "in-between" position. And that is unacceptable.

SPIEGEL: But if nothing works with Great Britain, what role can the British play in the future?
    Now that's a question.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

As every day passes, my view is becoming ever stronger that we need to withdraw from the EU without any delay.

It is not going to work, v=certainly not for the UK.

Scotland can re-join if they wish after they have voted for independence.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
      As every day passes, my view is becoming ever stronger that we need to withdraw from the EU without any delay..
      Withdraw? My guess is the UK will be kicked out before they get the chance.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        That will be nice...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Spiegel
          And besides, the British have been very skeptical about every integration step
          Hmm, indeed, what was he on about scooterscot?

That would be sceptical in the sense of:

1. The Conservative government of Edward Heath taking the UK into the precursor of the EU in 1973.

2. John Major narrowly pushed through the Maastricht Treaty for further European integration in 1992.

3. The worst and most incompetent, divisive, lying, despicable, treacherous Chancellor and PM to ever be inflicted upon the people of the United Kingdom, James Gordon "Brown's Bottom" gold selling fame, pension dividend tax credit removing, IR35 inducing, tax increasing, disaterous tripartite birthing, tax credit fiascoing, 10p tax removing, who had pledged to allow a referendum on the EU Treaty of Lisbon and claimed that it was unnecessary because it was 'fundamentally different' from the constitution rejected by the French and Dutch and cowardly scuttled off to sign it anyway.

4. Conservative David Cameron abandoned a promised referendum on the Lisbon Treaty and is set on further integration under the lie of "better in and, er, pretending to be big on tough on it" but ultimately business as usual with further reduction of liberty

That sort of scepticism?
          Last edited by hyperD; 5 September 2011, 20:39.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

How quaint to be called Great Britain. Thought that term died out.

Bit late for us to pull out now, we've already been swamped by eastern Europeans, etc, how much worse can it get?

Comment

This is all based on the assumption that the EU is a benign and desirable institution. It is assumed that this corrupt undemocratic monolithic political state enjoys a sacrosanct existence. It does'nt and guess what it would not make the blinding bit of difference if it were disbanded tomorrow. the EU is nothing more than a gravy train for politicians who want nothing more than to exert control and fill their own troughs.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

and what precisely would be wrong with that?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  This is all based on the assumption that the EU is a benign and desirable institution. It is assumed that this corrupt undemocratic monolithic political state enjoys a sacrosanct existence. It does'nt and guess what it would not make the blinding bit of difference if it were disbanded tomorrow. the EU is nothing more than a gravy train for politicians who want nothing more than to exert control and fill their own troughs.
                  A bit like agents...
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    A bit like agents...
                    at least my accounts were signed off

Comment

Working...
                    X