• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Joys of Offshoring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Joys of Offshoring

Civil unrest in Bangalore, India, has led to the closure of a call centre used by UK-based LLU ISP Be. A 24-hour government-imposed curfew kicked in yesterday evening at 5.30pm (UK time) leaving Be's broadband punters without any cover.

In an email to customers yesterday evening the firm explained: "As you are aware, the majority of our Be agents in our call centre are based in India.

"We have just been informed that there is a 24 hour government enforced curfew in Bangalore due to local civil unrest and, as a result, we are unable to handle any calls or tickets from there as of 5.30pm today. Unfortunately this unrest has affected not only our main call centre, but also our back-up sites.

A spokesman for the ISP told El Reg that Be has drafted in a small team of contractors from the UK to provide emergency back-up.

As for Be's outsourced call centre staff in Bangalore, they "will return to work as soon as it's safe to go back", he said.

Still, that's globalisation for you.

Contractors to the rescue again eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor Dalek

Still, that's globalisation for you.
      Emperor is that the globalisation that has been created by the technology that so many of you have made so much money out of building?
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Of course, DA, and the irony is not lost on me.

It just seems that in the rush to off-shore little attention has been paid to the nature of the destinations, i.e. unstable countries (geologically and politically) with weak, if any, legal protection of workers and/or your data.

I feel it only a matter of time until one of the big players gets seriously caught with their pants down. This could be a major fraud with no comeback due to weak local laws, a devastating earthquake, polictal upheavel, you name it.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Dalek: Invasion Earth?

Thats it! They wer'nt invading, they were just trying to off-shore ( off planet? ) their call center operations!
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I told the Black Dalek you'd never believe the guff about that mine in Bedfordshire being to extract the Earth's core and replace it with a propulsion unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor Dalek
              I told the Black Dalek you'd never believe the guff about that mine in Bedfordshire being to extract the Earth's core and replace it with a propulsion unit.

Eh? don't remember you saying that!, our last conversation was about the feelings that you still had for me!

Comment

Black Dalek, are you still a compleat and utter barstard?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  Black Dalek, are you still a compleat and utter barstard?
                  Before I answer could we please establish your gender

Comment

Originally posted by Black Dalek
                    Eh? don't remember you saying that!, our last conversation was about the feelings that you still had for me!
                    You said you were intimidated by the size of my dome.

Comment

Working...
                    X