PDA

View Full Version : Moving to North permanently....Any IT Job out there..??

Darren_Test
6th September 2011, 12:58
After spending many years around M4 Corridor, I am seriously looking to move North after selling my small 2BHK in south east.

Only worry I have is on Job prospects in North..? Recently when I was working in Newcastle most of my colleagues were from either Scotland or from South East. HR guy told me he is not getting any qualified local IT contractors in North..!!– Which looks promising for me to move there..!!

Same time I have been told only places to get decent IT job in North is Leeds, Newcastle & Stockport..??

Which one to believe..??

AtW
6th September 2011, 12:59
There was one job but DimPrawn took it.

HTH

SimonMac
6th September 2011, 13:00
You after permie work or contracts?

Here in Yorkshire contracts are limited, you might be better NW around Manchester etc or further north towards Newcastle but all in all I think the south is still the place to be

Doggy Styles
6th September 2011, 13:10
Here in Yorkshire contracts are limited, you might be better NW around Manchester etc or further north towards Newcastle but all in all I think the south is still the place to beYou'll upset scooter!

DimPrawn
6th September 2011, 13:23
There was one job but DimPrawn took it.

HTH

WHS.

However, I'm leaving very soon, so fill yer boots!

TestMangler
6th September 2011, 13:29
Absolutely no jobs in the North.

Every IT contractor from north of Watford Gap has been on the bench for five years or more.

We're all just sitting here waiting for a left wing government to get in and re-open the pits.

HTH.

DimPrawn
6th September 2011, 13:31
Absolutely no jobs in the North.

Every IT contractor from north of Watford Gap has been on the bench for five years or more.

We're all just sitting here waiting for a left wing government to get in and re-open the pits.

HTH.

WHS. I've scraped a living selling used Pigeons and Whippets on eBay.

TestMangler
6th September 2011, 13:32
WHS. I've scraped a living selling used Pigeons and Whippets on eBay.

I've prospered in flat caps and haggis microwave meals.

NotAllThere
6th September 2011, 13:43
I sell tea. Cold tea. No milk, no sugar, no tea... and so on. It was inevitable, so I thought I'd get there first.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th September 2011, 14:10
After spending many years around M4 Corridor, I am seriously looking to move North after selling my small 2BHK in south east.

Only worry I have is on Job prospects in North..? Recently when I was working in Newcastle most of my colleagues were from either Scotland or from South East. HR guy told me he is not getting any qualified local IT contractors in North..!!– Which looks promising for me to move there..!!

Same time I have been told only places to get decent IT job in North is Leeds, Newcastle & Stockport..??

Which one to believe..??

No decent jobs around here mate, stay down south and leave us to fend for the scraps.

d000hg
6th September 2011, 14:12

Which one to believe..??Of course there are jobs, these things are relative. The NE in general is pretty dire for example but Newcastle is a hub of sorts. On the other hand, it's a very cheap area to buy property.

DimPrawn
6th September 2011, 15:11
Of course there are jobs, these things are relative. The NE in general is pretty dire for example but Newcastle is a hub of sorts. On the other hand, it's a very cheap area to buy property.

Indeed, these are the houses where I live.

Cheap as chips!

Property for sale in Darras Hall - Houses for sale in Darras Hall (http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?searchType=SALE&locationIdentifier=REGION%5E96858&insId=1&radius=0.0&displayPropertyType=&minBedrooms=&maxBedrooms=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&retirement=&partBuyPartRent=&maxDaysSinceAdded=&_includeSSTC=on&sortByPriceDescending=&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&newHome=&auction=false)

DaveB
6th September 2011, 15:16

Which one to believe..??

Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield, Preston, York. Ther are jobs, but nothing like as many down south and they dont pay as well. On the other hand there are fewer people competing for them and cost of living is lower up here.

Currently going into a 6 month extension of the current gig Oop North.

d000hg
6th September 2011, 15:16
Indeed, these are the houses where I live.

Cheap as chips!

Property for sale in Darras Hall - Houses for sale in Darras Hall (http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?searchType=SALE&locationIdentifier=REGION%5E96858&insId=1&radius=0.0&displayPropertyType=&minBedrooms=&maxBedrooms=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&retirement=&partBuyPartRent=&maxDaysSinceAdded=&_includeSSTC=on&sortByPriceDescending=&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&newHome=&auction=false)From the look of those places, you're living near most of Newcastle FC?

Doggy Styles
6th September 2011, 15:19
Of course there are jobs, these things are relative. The NE in general is pretty dire for example but Newcastle is a hub of sorts. On the other hand, it's a very cheap area to buy property.It wasn't even worth looting.

DimPrawn
6th September 2011, 15:29
From the look of those places, you're living near most of Newcastle FC?

Yep, I'm mingling with WAGS.

AtW
6th September 2011, 15:30
Yep, I'm mingling with WAGS.

New word for me :happy

stek
6th September 2011, 16:02
I'm in the Toon for my next gig, rate is cock-on, and long term.

quackhandle
6th September 2011, 16:13
I'm in the Toon for my next gig, rate is cock-on, and long term.

You've been going down the Bigg Market far too much. :laugh

qh

EternalOptimist
6th September 2011, 17:31
Come on up son. Theres loads of jobs up here.

We are getting the electric put in soon, then it will be boom time

:rolleyes:

TestMangler
6th September 2011, 17:40
Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield, Preston, York. Ther are jobs, but nothing like as many down south and they dont pay as well. On the other hand there are fewer people competing for them and cost of living is lower up here.

Currently going into a 6 month extension of the current gig Oop North.

Not doubting rates in general are maybe better dahn sarff, but, for example, what would a test manager or infrastructure PM get in the south ? I seriously doubt it's that much more than the frozen north.

Fred Bloggs
6th September 2011, 18:03
I'm from the north west, my rates are between 50 and 100% higher in Surrey/London than in Manchester.

DimPrawn
6th September 2011, 18:34
And another thing.

Before you move oop north, do not, for one second underestimate how utterly utterly SHITE the weather/climate is.

If (like me) you are a southerner born and bred, the incredible range or weather which combines on any given day:

1. Torrential rain
2. Howling gale force winds
3. Bloody cold temperatures
4. Five foot deep snow from October to March

Was the clincher for me. I ain't living up here any longer! Shite is not the word!

:frown

minestrone
6th September 2011, 18:34
Despite our attempts at inventing the moving screen industry, the phone industry, banking industry and the power supply industry Scotland seems to have fecked up royally on making money from the computer industry.

minestrone
6th September 2011, 18:46
And another thing.

Before you move oop north, do not, for one second underestimate how utterly utterly tulipE the weather/climate is.

If (like me) you are a southerner born and bred, the incredible range or weather which combines on any given day:

1. Torrential rain

Was the clincher for me. I ain't living up here any longer! tulipe is not the word!

When you get milk delivered in polythene bags and the Sunday papers arrive on Monday then you can start complaining.

Sysman
6th September 2011, 19:22
And another thing.

Before you move oop north, do not, for one second underestimate how utterly utterly tulipE the weather/climate is.

1. Torrential rain

Was the clincher for me. I ain't living up here any longer! tulipe is not the word!

You've walked straight into this.

Southern Softie!!!

DimPrawn
6th September 2011, 19:45
You've walked straight into this.

Southern Softie!!!

Too right. Number of times it says "27 deg today!" only to find it 17 deg C here, 27 deg c in that there London, and if you go to the coast here, fooking 13 deg C with a wind chill of 10 deg C, making it feel like +3!

Fook that, I love warm weather and like to have an outdoor lifestyle that doesn't require wearing arctic clothing in August.

Alf W
6th September 2011, 20:06
Too right. Number of times it says "27 deg today!" only to find it 17 deg C here, 27 deg c in that there London, and if you go to the coast here, fooking 13 deg C with a wind chill of 10 deg C, making it feel like +3!

Fook that, I love warm weather and like to have an outdoor lifestyle that doesn't require wearing arctic clothing in August.

Problem is, south of Derby there's feck all of consequence 'outdoors' to actually enjoy in England.

shaunbhoy
6th September 2011, 20:15
Problem is, south of Derby there's feck all of consequence 'outdoors' to actually enjoy in England.

Bollocks!!! There's Dartmoor and Exmoor for starters.............you cheeky bleeding ferret-fancier!!!