• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living in Germany, working in Holland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in Germany, working in Holland

Some years ago it made sense to live in Germany and commute to the Netherlands because a) the wages were higher in Holland and b) usually Dutch employer offer unlimited travel expenses refund (at that time also for contractors).

Is that still so? Thanks
    Last edited by petergriffin; 6 September 2011, 17:25. Reason: spellling
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

It pays relatively well in cloggieland, but not sure about travel expenses.

You'll also need to make sure you have a Dutch payroll company as you can't get away with using a UK ltd anymore. Not sure what your set up is in Germany, but Dutch tax authorities prefer that you are a taxpayer if you earn there.

Travel expense (visiting home/family) I've been told seem to be taken into consideration with the 30% ruling.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Off topic but Euroland related I suppose.

Anybody working in Brussels? What's the market like these days?
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Off topic but Euroland related I suppose.

Anybody working in Brussels? What's the market like these days?
        Live Market
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Yep, that's what I remember
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Isn't there a recipricol tax agreement between Holland and Germany so that if you live in Germany but work in Holland you'll still pay tax (and everything else) in Germany? I know when I did a contract in Amsterdam I had to get some bits of paper from the Finanzamt to send to the Dutch agency to show that I lived and paid taxes in Germany so that I wouldn't get taxed in Holland.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Isn't there a recipricol tax agreement between Holland and Germany so that if you live in Germany but work in Holland you'll still pay tax (and everything else) in Germany? I know when I did a contract in Amsterdam I had to get some bits of paper from the Finanzamt to send to the Dutch agency to show that I lived and paid taxes in Germany so that I wouldn't get taxed in Holland.
              no, normally not. You pay tax in Holland and then declare it on your German tax form, but it doesn't get taxed again. If it wouldn't be taxed in Holland obviously they would tax it in Germany. That setup you describe sounds a bit dubious. I think if the Dutch tax authorities had checked up they may well have come to another conclusion. If you had been working for a German agency it would be less obvious

In fact if you live in Germany and work in Holland, the favourable Dutch tax rate foreigners should work in your favour.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 7 September 2011, 07:30.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                no, normally not. You pay tax in Holland and then declare it on your German tax form, but it doesn't get taxed again. If it wouldn't be taxed in Holland obviously they would tax it in Germany. That setup you describe sounds a bit dubious. I think if the Dutch tax authorities had checked up they may well have come to another conclusion. If you had been working for a German agency it would be less obvious

In fact if you live in Germany and work in Holland, the favourable Dutch tax rate foreigners should work in your favour.
                Admittedly it was some time ago but I just went along to the Finanzamt, got a form signed and stamped and this was then sent to the Dutch tax authorities to show I paid tax in Germany and so didn't need to in Holland.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

I though that German tax rate was more favourable that the Dutch one. I was/am planning to move to Cologne.
                  <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                    I though that German tax rate was more favourable that the Dutch one. I was/am planning to move to Köln.
                    FTFY...also known as the city with the best nightlife in Germany.
                    Last edited by darmstadt; 7 September 2011, 17:36. Reason: sticky keyboard

Comment

Working...
                    X