• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Do You Define An IT Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do You Define An IT Contractor

A serious question :How Do You Define An IT Contractor

And how are they different from permanent employees

There are cases where contractors stay for years at a company so length of service is not an issue

You have got to be kidding. That is a serious question? What is the difference between and IT Contractor and a permie?

You can't work this one out for yourself? I am going to get an infraction I am sure but coming from someone that has been on the site over a year and 222 posts in that is the most ridiculous question I have seen on here so far.

You cannot start to work this out for yourself after all this time?

Admin please move to light relief or something, this isn't even General quality.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 6 September 2011, 22:24.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You have got to be kidding. That is a serious question? What is the difference between and IT Contractor and a permie?

You can't work this one out for yourself? I am going to get an infraction I am sure but coming from someone that has been on the site over a year and 222 posts in that is the most ridiculous question I have seen on here so far.

You cannot start to work this out for yourself after all this time?

Admin please move to light relief or something, this isn't even General quality.
      Permies have more patience.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I think it fits perfectly in General. Come on DeludedAussie - 'it 'im back.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Permie: sits on his arse all day and is safe in the knowledge that:
          - his pay will be paid at the end of the month without question or delay
          - his tax is prepaid out of that pay
          - healthcare/dental plans/company cars are some of the perks enjoyed
          - when on holiday he is safe in the knowledge he is being paid
          - arrives early and stays late working overtime due to unforeseen issues/power hungry manager/arse licking self important thinking permie
          - eats tulip sandwiches
          - wears a shirt that was found in tkmax and on "special occasions" a suit costing circa £50 and battered once black crap shoes
          - works from a crappy 90's desktop

Long term Contractor: sits on his arse all day but worries that:
          - he isnt going to get paid at the end of the month due to "moving finance packages" or some other half arsed reason
          - has to do monthly accounts to ensure that all the various taxes/insurances are paid/accounted for
          - pays extra for healthcare/dental plans and company car is usually some wreck to ensure contract is renewed and "the boss" doesnt take offence
          - arrives late mondays and leaves early fridays with a small carry on suitcase, works extra hrs tues-thurs to make up mon/fri shortfall
          - holiday = no billing = no pay
          - eats better sandwiches
          - wears smart business like tailored clothes and decent shoes
          - works from a laptop purchased within the last 3yrs

HTH
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            - eats tulip sandwiches
            Just out of interest, what are good vs bad sandwiches? M&S for good, Co-op for bad perhaps?

Where can you get the best sandwiches money can buy?

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
              Just out of interest, what are good vs bad sandwiches? M&S for good, Co-op for bad perhaps?

Get me a crocodile sandwich - and make it snappy!

(Basil Brush)

Comment

Make them yourself.

It helps if you are fortunate enough to live next to a good local deli and have access to fresh bread via a good independent baker. Though when I have nice bread I don't need any fillings apart from butter and then sometimes not even that.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Make them yourself.

It helps if you are fortunate enough to live next to a good local deli and have access to fresh bread via a good independent baker. Though when I have nice bread I don't need any fillings apart from butter and then sometimes not even that.
                  You must be a permie.

Jeeves makes mine.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

cost of ingrediants : £2.99 (ocado)
                    time in making : 15 minutes (£15)
                    Total cost of sandwich: £17.99.

That is if I make the sandwich for myself. If it is for someone else, add some premium to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X