PDA

View Full Version : .Net or Java?

TimberWolf
7th September 2011, 08:46
Where is the demand, where are the jobs, where's the gravy train at? Current and future.

Question inspired by:
http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/70358-whats-market-like-right-now.html#post1388314

TiroFijo
7th September 2011, 08:58
Where is the demand, where are the jobs, where's the gravy train at? Current and future.

Question inspired by:
http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/70358-whats-market-like-right-now.html#post1388314

I inspire people - I'll put it on my CV.

milanbenes
7th September 2011, 09:00
it's all .Net these days

all aboard the [TOOT] [TOOT] .Net gravy train

plenty of room

try to go for the full MSDN certifications

Milan.

alreadypacked
7th September 2011, 09:03

Question inspired by:

I'm currently on the gravy train, not currently taking any more passengers.

Ding ding!

TimberWolf
7th September 2011, 11:16
By overwhelming majority and by landslide victory is the one and only cut and pasty .NET.

PAH
7th September 2011, 11:20
Java.Net ;)

NorthWestPerm2Contr
7th September 2011, 11:23
Everything is .NET these days. There are so many free versions of Visual Studio available these days. It does seem like a bit of an ocean though. Have been working in mainly SQL/BI for the last 5 years with only a bit of .NET and I am thinking whether it is worth getting back into .NET again.......

PAH
7th September 2011, 11:30
I am thinking whether it is worth getting back into .NET again.......

Depends if you can be arsed delving into stuff they've brought out since, such as Entity Framework, MVC, WPF/XAML, Silverlight.

Oh, and Team Foundation Server, as Visual Studio and Source Safe just isn't good enough anymore. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there's other new tech M$ are in the process of rolling out too, as all the above is at least a couple of years old now, so a new wheel (to keep the hamsters occupied) needs inventing. :rolleyes:

eek
7th September 2011, 12:16
I'm sure there's other new tech M$ are in the process of rolling out too, as all the above is at least a couple of years old now, so a new wheel (to keep the hamsters occupied) needs inventing. :rolleyes:

You're missing Azure from that list and I've heard rumours of a few e-commerce sites moving in that direction.

minestrone
7th September 2011, 12:49
Everything is .NET these days.

No idea where you picked that idea from. Java is the choice of pretty much every financial in the post COBOL age and if you have a certified JEE architects cert it is quids in.

Most larger places shoot where IBM aim for and that is very dull websphere work but the banks love it and I fill the holes they want filled.

minestrone
7th September 2011, 13:09
Also I wrote a blog system for a client in under 2 days using struts2, spring and hibernate, code fell into place, every line.

PAH
7th September 2011, 14:01
You're missing Azure from that list and I've heard rumours of a few e-commerce sites moving in that direction.

Ah, yes, the head in the clouds brigade.

Though any sane company will edge their bets and use several different solutions at once, to provide proper isolation from 'pulled-plug' syndrome.

See Apple and their iCloud (using both Azure and Amazon equivalents) as an example.

Don't bet all your money on Red or Black when you can put it on both, then sell tickets to see which one it lands on. :smile

eek
7th September 2011, 14:14
Ah, yes, the head in the clouds brigade.

Though any sane company will edge their bets and use several different solutions at once, to provide proper isolation from 'pulled-plug' syndrome.

See Apple and their iCloud (using both Azure and Amazon equivalents) as an example.

Don't bet all your money on Red or Black when you can put it on both, then sell tickets to see which one it lands on. :smile

Moving from AWS to Azure actually proved very painless and the server management time looks seriously reduced compared to AWS.

I know moving is not ideal but moving back wouldn't be that painful.

d000hg
7th September 2011, 14:14

Question inspired by:
http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/70358-whats-market-like-right-now.html#post1388314Surely the question isn't Java or .Net, but Java or .Net or PHP. Maligned as it is, it's the webby language of choice for many programmers.

eek
7th September 2011, 14:32
Surely the question isn't Java or .Net, but Java or .Net or PHP. Maligned as it is, it's the webby language of choice for many programmers.

As a contractor PHP = low rate crap.

For plan b's I prefer speed and codesmith means even that is in c#.

doodab
7th September 2011, 15:28
I'm thinking of doing some of the Java certifications while I'm on the bench, I'm a bit reluctant to invest in the Java 6 (and EE 5) ones when Java 7 has just been released though.

PAH
7th September 2011, 16:06
I'm a bit reluctant to invest in the Java 6 (and EE 5) ones when Java 7 has just been released though.

To get ahead of the game, get the Java 8 alpha. By the time you're up to speed enough to use it, it will be in demand. :)

That's how you get 2 years experience of a brand new technology on your CV. ;)

d000hg
7th September 2011, 16:47
Oh, and Team Foundation Server, as Visual Studio and Source Safe just isn't good enough anymore. :rolleyes:VSS was never good enough, even MS admit that and used Perforce for their own big projects.

Also I wrote a blog system for a client in under 2 days using struts2, spring and hibernate, code fell into place, every line.A blog is pretty simple though really. The server side anyway. Out of interest why combine struts with Spring?

As a contractor PHP = low rate crap.Unless you can get a gig at one of the big boys like FaceBook, I suppose you're right.

MarillionFan
7th September 2011, 16:50
WTF.

A .Net or Java thread and one with the name Perl in the title in General.

:nerd

Sorry I must have stumbled onto the wrong website. :rolleyes: