• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More QE and inflation on the way?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More QE and inflation on the way?

NS&I pulls inflation-linked savings certificates - Telegraph

National Savings & Investment has pulled its hugely popular inflation-linked savings certificates.

The announcement is the latest blow to savers who have seen their income plummet at a time when most savings accounts fail to offer any real rate of return once inflation and tax are taken into account.

NS&I’s website and call centres stopped taking new sales of Savings Certificates yesterday. Postal applications received today (7 September 2011) will be honoured, but all postal applications received after midnight tonight will be returned to the customer.

I think they did this last time before the last round of QE to stoke debt busting inflation.

Britain and the PIGS seem to be banking on inflation saving the day.

Comment

George's two finger salute to poor people.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        George's two finger salute to poor people.
        They should stop being poor then

Comment

Well, that's nice but how the Govt is going to deal with all public sector workers whose contracts are linked to inflation? Redefining it only saves money so far.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Well, that's nice but how the Govt is going to deal with all public sector workers whose contracts are linked to inflation? Redefining it only saves money so far.
            By lying about inflation of course Isn't this what governments do?

Comment

Yep, tweak the lower inflation index to keep it artificially low, and tie interest rate decisions to it, and public sector pay and pension deals.

Then pension and pay themselves according to the more realistic other inflation index.

Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Weimar here we come...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Weimar here we come...
                  The good news is that unpaid taxes will also be devalued

Comment

I'm just glad I got into the bonds when I did! There's just no point having cash in the bank these days.

So what else to do? I don't trust gold as I reckon it's overvalued, and shares are not yet cheap enough to tempt me (I'm looking for sub-4000 on the FTSE / 8000 on the DOW).

Property is the only long-term investment worth sticking money into. Why? Well...
                    1) You get regular rental income (of which there is rising demand)
                    2) Someone else pays off the BTL mortgage.
                    3) Rising inflation helps to erode the value of your debt.
                    4) House prices may in fact fall over the next few years, but they will eventually rise (in the UK, SE anyway) and house prices won't go that low anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X