• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat Rate VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Rate VAT

Our company will be invoicing out around £8000 a month however we will be receiving invoices for around £500 a month for web servers we are renting to develop a new IT product.

Should we be flat rate registed if we are receiving invoices as well ???

On £8,000 a month you'd have sales of £96,000 on which you'd charge 20% VAT to give = £115,200. The flat rate at 14.5% would be £16,704 (plus 1% discount in the first year).

Standard scheme you'd pay VAT to HMRC of £19,200 and reclaim £100 per month on the servers to give a net liability of £18,000.

You're better off flat rate unless you have other large purchases.

This assumes £8,000 and £500 are your net figures, but the conclusion would be the same even if they are gross
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Thanks for a brilliant straight forward answer

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        On £8,000 a month you'd have sales of £96,000 on which you'd charge 20% VAT to give = £115,200. The flat rate at 14.5% would be £16,704 (plus 1% discount in the first year).

Standard scheme you'd pay VAT to HMRC of £19,200 and reclaim £100 per month on the servers to give a net liability of £18,000.

You're better off flat rate unless you have other large purchases.

This assumes £8,000 and £500 are your net figures, but the conclusion would be the same even if they are gross
        Is it possible to pay for 6 months, and reclaim the VAT back as it would be more than £2k. I am aware that it is possible for capital purchases, but I am not sure fixed term hire of IT infrastructure can be termed as such. Accountants to verify.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
          Is it possible to pay for 6 months, and reclaim the VAT back as it would be more than £2k. I am aware that it is possible for capital purchases, but I am not sure fixed term hire of IT infrastructure can be termed as such. Accountants to verify.
          Under the flat rate VAT scheme you cannot reclaim VAT on
          purchases unless you are buying a capital asset in excess of
          £2,000 (including VAT). The following criteria must be met
          for a successful reclaim of VAT:

• The purchase must be a single purchase of capital assets
          with a VAT inclusive price of £2,000 or more. This is not restricted to a single item so multiple capital assets can be purchased i.e. a computer, printer and screen, however, they must be purchased at the same time from the same supplier on the same invoice to qualify

• It must be a purchase of a capital asset and not services
          i.e. assets used within the business not used up by it. A laptop and printer are capital assets (provided they are not bought for resale) where as the ink and paper are not because they are consumed by the business

• You cannot reclaim the VAT on capital assets that are intended for resale or are bought on behalf of a customer/client or are let out/leased as part of your business activities

• You cannot reclaim the VAT on building materials and building work, this is because they are not capital assets even if the expenditure includes materials.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
            Under the flat rate VAT scheme you cannot reclaim VAT on
            purchases unless you are buying a capital asset in excess of
            £2,000 (including VAT). The following criteria must be met
            for a successful reclaim of VAT:

• The purchase must be a single purchase of capital assets
            with a VAT inclusive price of £2,000 or more. This is not restricted to a single item so multiple capital assets can be purchased i.e. a computer, printer and screen, however, they must be purchased at the same time from the same supplier on the same invoice to qualify

• It must be a purchase of a capital asset and not services
            i.e. assets used within the business not used up by it. A laptop and printer are capital assets (provided they are not bought for resale) where as the ink and paper are not because they are consumed by the business

• You cannot reclaim the VAT on capital assets that are intended for resale or are bought on behalf of a customer/client or are let out/leased as part of your business activities

• You cannot reclaim the VAT on building materials and building work, this is because they are not capital assets even if the expenditure includes materials.

Alan
            That solves my query. Thanks Alan.

Comment

Working...
            X