• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Golden showers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golden showers

All the world's gold and platinum ore came from outer space after a mammoth meteorite shower battered the Earth more than four billion years ago, scientists revealed today.

Researchers also discovered there is enough gold and platinum in the Earth's core to plate the surface of the globe with a layer of priceless bling four metres thick.

These huge gold deposits appeared during the Earth's formation when molten iron sank to its centre, dragging with it vast quantities of precious metals.

Source: Earth's gold and platinum arrived in a meteor shower lasting 200MILLION years | Mail Online

---

Question - what would happen to price of gold on world markets if an all gold asteroid size of Moon shown below collides with this planet?

Some diamonds to be found are older than the Earth, albeit very small.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Sounds like rubbish to me. Why would gold and platinum not make up a non-golden-showered Earth?

What's more likely is this: The primordial solar system dust cloud contained about 0.13 parts per billion gold and as it coalesced (lots and lots of not particularly golden meteor showers), the Sun ended up with about that ratio of gold. While the inner planets (including Earth) got proportionally a bit more because they were too hot and not massive enough to hold on to the commonest and lightest gases (hydrogen and helium), and the outer planets, which are more gaseous, were left with more than their share of lighter elements and less gold by proportion to the rest of the solar system. Not sure about asteroids, presumably they had trouble holding onto helium and hydrogen too.

Comment

I have never been so disapointed with a thread.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I have never been so disapointed with a thread.
          WMFS

Though I spell "disapointed" like this - disappointed
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            WMFS

Though I spell "disapointed" like this - disappointed
            Austerity measures. We can't all take the p.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Some scientists spout a load of nonsense - none of this stuff is provable and will probably be "proved" wrong in 10 years.

Can't they work on something useful to industry?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Some scientists spout a load of nonsense - none of this stuff is provable and will probably be "proved" wrong in 10 years.

Can't they work on something useful to industry?
                Gold and platinum are both important to industry.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Every atom on the planet came from outer space Shirley?

Crap story. 1/10
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Gold and platinum are both important to industry.
                    But where gold/platinum comes from does not matter.

Now if they found a way to mine more minerals then great. Or create more then great. But to speculate it comes from outer space....

Comment

Working...
                    X