• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Penalty Through Post For Driving In Middle Of Road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penalty Through Post For Driving In Middle Of Road

Anyone who has seen this first hand knows how difficult this can be

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=...=12,27.02,,0,0

I got a fine through the post for driving through the middle of the road and not to the left

My point is that the sign says 7"2 yet when I measured the actual space between the two bollards it is a lot less then 7"2 - More like 6"8

Should I just pay up or is it worth a fight?
    Last edited by DeludedAussie; 7 September 2011, 23:24.

Never heard of an offence of driving down the middle of the road. What do they want you to do, drive on the pavement?

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
      Never heard of an offence of driving down the middle of the road. What do they want you to do, drive on the pavement?
      Have a peek at this Englefield Rd to Englefield Rd, London N1, UK - Google Maps

Comment

The offence is entering the white box with the solid white outline.

Broken Outline = You may enter if its safe to do so
        Solid White Line = You may only enter in an emergency

Unless you were on an emergency call I'd say you should cough up.

Also, the sign there is a red circle (i.e. something you must not do) which is telling you that it's prohibited to take a motor vehicle greater than 7'2" wide past that point. It's not telling you the gap between the posts is 7'2". Given most cars are wider at the wing mirrors / door handles than the wheels its not enough to say that the posts on the ground were narrower as your car's wheels should fit through. I don't know of the wheel track of any car greater than 1.9m (6'3" ish). So no basically cough up and drive through the correct bit. The center is only there to allow ambulances through while preventing HGVs etc from doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
          Anyone who has seen this first hand knows how difficult this can be

Englefield Rd to Englefield Rd, London N1, UK - Google Maps

I got a fine through the post for driving through the middle of the road and not to the left

My point is that the sign says 7"2 yet when I measured the actual space between the two bollards it is a lot less then 7"2 - More like 6"8

Should I just pay up or is it worth a fight?
          I know it's mean, but

Please go back to your original username of Joey as it really is more apt.

Comment

As Mr C would say, you could drive a bus down that! (and the car in the picture obviously managed it.)

I reckon that camera must be a nice little earner for them as the gap in the middle, while definately not to be used, must be like a moth to a flame for lazy/poor drivers.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Personally I think you should fight it. You will lose. But if everyone fought every ticket all the way society would be alot better.

Comment

.....and it would give us a laugh.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm glad the government/councils collect cash in this way, it's a sort of extra tax levied on the stupid so people with average intelligence and above pay a little less.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    I'm glad the government/councils collect cash in this way, it's a sort of extra tax levied on the stupid so people with average intelligence and above pay a little less.
                    Like the national lottery then?

Comment

Working...
                    X