PDA

View Full Version : With 9/11 tenth anniversary upon us...

Scrag Meister
8th September 2011, 08:15
what were you doing on the fateful day.

I was sat glued with everyone else at, my then permie employer, Reuters watching live streaming feed on our desktops. Saw the second plane go in "live".

Astounding, even now I am amazed when watching news reports etc..

Been to Ground Zero twice and visited the WTC Exhibition back in June, very moving. we can only imagine.

wobbegong
8th September 2011, 08:22
what were you doing on the fateful day.

Phone my sister; it's her birthday.

TestMangler
8th September 2011, 08:26
Having my beloved Fiat Croma fail its last MOT just as the first tower collapsed.

By the time I got home, the 2nd one was on the verge of doing the same thing.

You had two Fiat Croma's ?????

Oh, no. I see what you mean now.

I was motorbiking up to Glasgow from Ashford and knew nothing about it all until late that night.

Cliphead
8th September 2011, 08:31
On a contract in Glasgow. The PM came over to the office telling us what he'd heard on the radio then sent everyone home. Got home just to see the second tower come down.

doodab
8th September 2011, 09:02
Watched it unfold on the telly in the kitchen at my then client co. They were different times.

Pondlife
8th September 2011, 09:06
Was driving from MK to Crewe when the 1st hit. Got there to see 2nd one fall.

Spent the afternoon trying to phone friends in NY but obviously couldn't get through.

DimPrawn
8th September 2011, 09:09
Was working from home whilst contracting at Microsoft. Watched it on telly instead of doing T-SQL coding.

minestrone
8th September 2011, 09:20
On my second last permie job which I lost the next day when they binned us all.

The American CEO mailed us all to say "my thoughts and wishes are with you all on this day" then sacked 30 of us.

lilelvis2000
8th September 2011, 09:22
Working away in Ottawa when my bosses' sister came bursting in and said "the world is on fire today". We both enquired what she was talking about. She looked at us in utter disbelief and then told us what had happened, that the buildings had collapsed etc.. Both us laughed our heads off. My boss went out with his sister and came back a few minutes later and told me it was all true.

For lunch, we went to a nearby restaurant which had TVs and everyone was transfixed to them. Got back to the office and continued work as normal.

b0redom
8th September 2011, 09:26
Was in an interview for an Ops Manager job for a well known media .com company.

Someone walked in and said - errr we need more capacity NOW. Everyone left and I got kicked out of the offices.

Got the job though.

AtW
8th September 2011, 10:21
Was at work and after hearing news tried to watch stamp sized video feed on cnn.com but way too slow (for obvious reasons), one of the chaps in the office had radio.

sal626
8th September 2011, 10:37
Was working as permie for British Airways at the time and was in Bahamas on holiday.
Woke up to see first tower on fire and saw the second tower hit….

jmo21
8th September 2011, 11:06
Went to the pub across the road from the office to watch Sky News

original PM
8th September 2011, 11:11
I was on my honeymoon -- today is my 10th Anniversary.

Obviously enough we did not see the Tv until 12th or 13th at which point we thought we should call the family and then we were fine.

:emb

Zoiderman
8th September 2011, 11:28
I was 'sametiming' a colleague in the NY office (being very professional explaining Cricket to her), when she told me about the first being hit. Then I got a news feed in NZ (couldn't get it anywhere else in the world) and watched it unfold with some very concerned (US) colleagues and completely amazed other world colleagues.

I was due to go on a company Jolly to Boston which got cancelled along with a proposed pay rise as 'times had changed'.

Second plane come down near where my Auntie lives too.

shaunbhoy
8th September 2011, 11:40
I was on a contract in Manchester. We all sat and watched TV most of the afternoon as the whole thing unfolded. Surreal.

minestrone
8th September 2011, 11:42
I was listening to Radio Scotland which informed me that the first plane had hit, I shouted it out to the development team and nobody was interested. The biggest news story for decades.

When I got back from lunch and the second one hit everyone was in a room with somone holding an ariel out the window to get a signal to watch the BBC.

Internet was stuffed as well I remember.

Peoplesoft bloke
8th September 2011, 11:50
@clientco. In finance dept which was next to our project shed they had a telly that displayed share prices on teletext - they had tuned it into the news.

We couldn't get any news sites or video feeds at all until one of the contractors who was an Aussie got onto an Aussie news site. There was a lot of confusion and misinformation about.

Whilst I have no time at all for the tinfoil hat conspiracy nutters, I have still never got to the bottom of the debate about how people could (or couldn't) make mobile phone calls from onboard the planes - or even if they did. There seem to be a lot of conflicting stories about that bit.

shaunbhoy
8th September 2011, 11:53
Whilst I have no time at all for the tinfoil hat conspiracy nutters, I have still never got to the bottom of the debate about how people could (or couldn't) make mobile phone calls from onboard the planes - or even if they did. There seem to be a lot of conflicting stories about that bit.

Technically it was possible back then, but pretty unlikely unless the planes were at a relatively low altitude.

HTH

Doggy Styles
8th September 2011, 12:09
I was in a technical meeting at HP in Wokingham with a ginger bloke. He got a call and, without saying a word, he opened the BBC website and there it was - reporting the first hit.

He said he was actually strawberry blond but it looked ginger to me.

PAH
8th September 2011, 12:10
I was on holiday in Magaluf with a fellow contractor. :wave:

Was having a siesta in my hotel room when he came and informed me one of the twin towers had collapsed. Thought it was some weird wind up so told him to eff-off. After he convinced me he was serious we went down to the hotel bar and watched the second tower fall live on Sky News in shock/disbelief.

We were sure the yanks would nuke someone over the attack so were determined to live it large (as best you can in Magaluf :o) before WWIII kicked off proper.

One small consolation of the attack was that all the bars and restaurants were showing the footage non-stop, instead of the usual non-stop Only Fools and Horses that they were all hooked up to.

Made the chat up lines ("Come on darling it could be our last night on Earth") more effective, not that you need to put in much effort to pull in Magaluf. :grin

minestrone
8th September 2011, 12:17

The analogue phones could.

Pondlife
8th September 2011, 12:30
A good friend of mine's brother was at Harvard at the time on a football (soccer) scholarship. He was due to fly on the AA flight that day but changed it a week or so beforehand as he had college work to do and would join them later for the training camp.

AlfredJPruffock
8th September 2011, 12:35
What struck me the most was the collapse of WTC7 - which did not have a plane crash into tit - it was destroyed by a controlled explosion - and the recording looked very simiilar to WTC1 and WTC2 collapse.

shaunbhoy
8th September 2011, 12:38
What struck me the most was the collapse of WTC7 - which did not have a plane crash into tit - it was destroyed by a controlled explosion - and the recording looked very simiilar to WTC1 and WTC2 collapse.

Linky?

:eyes

eek
8th September 2011, 12:50
Linky?

:eyes

I don't have it however there are conspiracy theories that stuff was hidden there. From memory the real issue was collateral damage from the collapse of one of the towers.

I was waiting for confirmation of a perm role at .... It fell apart as WTC 7 fell and the NY department I was reporting to no longer had a fixed office and so decided to do the travelling themselves.

Yes I know perm is a dirty word around here but the pay was roughly equal to what my yearly contract income was.

2BIT
8th September 2011, 12:57
first week in first job, remember marvelling at how all the desktops could access the internet and watched the news feed until I was told to get back to work

Watched BBC news all night, my astonishment never waning, still seems surreal watching it now.... saw the ITV doc on it last night and it was even worse than I remember it...

sasguru
8th September 2011, 13:09

FFS! There's always one :suicide:

PAH
8th September 2011, 13:12
I don't have it however there are conspiracy theories that stuff was hidden there. From memory the real issue was collateral damage from the collapse of one of the towers.

There was a documentary covering WTC7. Showed massive amounts of damage from the fall of the nearest tower and raging fires from something or other, possibly the fuel tanks stored in the basement. :rolleyes:

7 World Trade Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_World_Trade_Center)

After the World Trade Center bombings of February 26, 1993, New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani decided to situate the emergency command center and associated fuel tanks at 7 World Trade Center.

The only aspects of the conspiracy theories I can believe at any level are:

1. WTC7 was demolished due to compromise of the government entities with offices there (CIA, Secret Service, and Department of Defence). I can believe that there may have been explosives in place to facilitiate such a destruction if security compromised. Maybe due to having watched Alias, where destruction of a sensitive building takes place via long placed explosives. :rolleyes:

2. The US Air Force shot down Flight 93 due to being late to react to the other hijacked planes and was not going to take any further chances.

3. The US security services and government knew of an imminent attack and chose to do nothing as a way of being gifted the leverage it needed to go and get some oil.

shaunbhoy
8th September 2011, 13:51
There was a documentary covering WTC7. Showed massive amounts of damage from the fall of the nearest tower and raging fires from something or other, possibly the fuel tanks stored in the basement. :rolleyes:

7 World Trade Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_World_Trade_Center)

1. WTC7 was demolished due to compromise of the government entities with offices there (CIA, Secret Service, and Department of Defence). I can believe that there may have been explosives in place to facilitiate such a destruction if security compromised. Maybe due to having watched Alias, where destruction of a sensitive building takes place via long placed explosives. :rolleyes:

2. The US Air Force shot down Flight 93 due to being late to react to the other hijacked planes and was not going to take any further chances.

3. The US security services and government knew of an imminent attack and chose to do nothing as a way of being gifted the leverage it needed to go and get some oil.

And then there was the one that all the Jewish people that worked in both of the towers had been tipped the wink by Mossad not to turn up for work that day!!

:eyes :eyes :eyes

Doggy Styles
8th September 2011, 13:58
And then there was the one that all the Jewish people that worked in both of the towers had been tipped the wink by Mossad not to turn up for work that day!!

:eyes :eyes :eyesAnd the one about an anagram of "nine eleven twin towers" appearing in the personal ads of the New York Times the previous day.

Can't remember what it was now, but it was unthinkable that the CIA didn't know.

PAH
8th September 2011, 14:47
You need to go on a road trip (http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/xx9y/911-conspiracy-road-trip) to convince you you're wrong. :rolleyes:

Clippy
8th September 2011, 14:50
I was working in a permie support role in Berkshire and had been promoted to manage the corporate HQ in West London as the Berks office was being closed.

However, I had to manage both sites until the Berks office closed.

I was driving back to the Berkshire office and had just gotten off the motorway when news of the first tower being hit came through.

My first thought was I hope its not a terrorist incident but a tragic/freak accident.

Luckily, I was near home so didn't bother going to the Berks office and instead spent the rest of the day glued to the TV.

The next day in the London office was surreal as it was a US company with a lot of (senior) yanks based there - one of them lost his brother in the attacks.

Found out later that a good friend of mine was on honeymoon in NY and stayed in the Marriott hotel which was on/near the site but luckily, him and his wife had checked out earlier.

It was the news event that brought the 24Hr news channels into the mainstream.

KentPhilip
8th September 2011, 14:51
I was driving up Crawley high street and the radio reported "two airliners have crashed into the World Trade Centre"
I thought that was a bit gratuitous and sick for the Radio 4 Sunday afternoon play. One would have been enough.

Upon realising that it wasn't Radio 4, and wasn't Sunday, and certainly wasn't a play, I was appalled! I mean, how appaling to have to drive within 10 miles of Crawley!

PAH
8th September 2011, 14:59
Watched an interesting documentary on CH4 last night, Bin Laden - Shoot To Kill, detailing the special forces operation.

Bin Laden: Shoot to Kill - 4oD - Channel 4 (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/bin-laden-shoot-to-kill/4od)

Was hoping they'd have included a few pics of the actual corpse to allay the conspiracy that it either wasn't Bin Laden, or they haven't dumped the body and Dubya has it in his trophy cabinet.

2BIT
8th September 2011, 15:45

first two are likely and not that controversial imo, 3rd one rings true - not in that they ignored the warnings for that specific reason but they did ignore the warnings - the FBI and CIA were informing them back in July of an imminent terrorist attack - but i still don't think they would allow something like that to happen to give them a footing for war - given how easy it was to declare war on Iraq on the back of dodgy intelligence...

PAH
8th September 2011, 16:09
the FBI and CIA were informing them back in July of an imminent terrorist attack - but i still don't think they would allow something like that to happen

Maybe they didn't know enough specifics to prevent it. Sort of like when the UK government raises the threat level but can't give any specific reason why. :rolleyes:

Hopefully all the info grabbed when they binned Laden will give them some proper clues on any likely attacks in the run up to the 10th anniversary, which must be a big attractor to any nutjobs still at large.

Maybe this time they're looking for any strange shorting going on, if it's true someone made a fortune by shorting the airlines just prior to 11/9.

minestrone
8th September 2011, 16:52
The blowing up of WTC7 is always a classic pile of crap.

"they did it to cover the tracks of the CIA who were in the building orchestrating the destruction of two massive buildings next door"

Sorry but If I had the gumption to start a war based on flying planes into a building I would certainly not be flying them into the building next door to me.

TimberWolf
8th September 2011, 17:04
Question Time debates 11/9 tonight, with David Milliband ffs. Why not someone interesting like Galloway.

minestrone
8th September 2011, 17:12
Question Time debates 11/9 tonight, with David Milliband ffs. Why not someone interesting like Galloway.

Fooker was my MP at the time.

Sysman
8th September 2011, 17:17
For some reason everyone ese had gone home early and I was alone in the office, when a DBA from upstairs came to tell me about it.

We both watched on the BBC web site as the second plane hit.

Clippy
8th September 2011, 18:36

Probably because he would put that neo-con c0ck jockey Richard Perle in his place.

Question Time marks 9/11 anniversary

Question Time, the BBC's premier political debate programme returns to BBC One on Thursday 8 September.

David Dimbleby will chair a special edition of the programme from London marking 10 years since the 9/11 attacks in the US.

The panel will include the Defence Secretary Dr Liam Fox and the former foreign secretary David Miliband.

The American political adviser, lobbyist and neo-con Richard Perle will also be on the panel together with the American-born British playwright and critic Bonnie Greer.

The panel will also include the anti-war campaigner Tariq Ali and Christina Schmid, the widow of Staff Sergeant Olaf Schmid, a bomb disposal expert who was killed while disarming an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) in Afghanistan in October 2009.

minestrone
8th September 2011, 20:17
Quite off topic but why does Dr Liam Fox not want the health job?

He obviously wants to be one million flu jab quality points away from the role.

wurzel
8th September 2011, 21:17
Had just finished a project in Dubai and was about to jet off to New York to work at my then permie clientco's US office. Not surprisingly, that never happened & I was out of work a couple of weeks later. Not that job security was the first thing that entered my mind as I watched it all unfold.

TimberWolf
8th September 2011, 21:34
They're on heightened alert in New York, in readiness for the 10 year anniversary.

quackhandle
8th September 2011, 22:14
I was out of work at the time, was walking home from a web cafe (yeah really!) when my mate texted me and said one of the WTC buildings had collapsed. Three years before I'd stood on the top of one of them (south tower I think) when coaching soccer out in Long Island, so I really couldn't believe that they had collapsed. Until I watched the tv footage obviously.

Listened to 5Live tonight about Pat Tilman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_tilman), who after 9/11 gave up a lucractive NFL career to fight in Afgahnistan then was KIA due to US friendly fire.

Its a strange old world. :eyes

qh

SueEllen
8th September 2011, 22:31
Was chatting to a foreign mate on ICQ while staying at another mate's house about random stuff when she said "Have you seen it?" To which I replied "What?" She then replied "Put BBC news on". I did to see the plane go into the second tower.

I got a job offer later that day via email which had a link in it which when I clicked it took me to a infected server that infected my mate's computer. I then spent the rest of the day getting rid of the virus after phoning the company and informing them their server was ****ed.

The job was real and the worse one I've ever done due to really nasty people, though I did stay employed whilst everyone else I knew in IT and a few out of it was out of work for long periods.

AlfredJPruffock
9th September 2011, 08:15
Quite off topic but why does Dr Liam Fox not want the health job?

He obviously wants to be one million flu jab quality points away from the role.

Liam was in fact a Civilian Army Medical Officer after he graduated from Glasgow University - he was always very interested in Politics as well as the NHS - he also came 3rd in the last Tory leadership contest.

I think his background and talents put him in good stead for the Defence Secretary Post- one day he might yet be a Prime Minister.

PAH
9th September 2011, 08:40
Three years before I'd stood on the top of one of them

I was there almost exactly one year prior (September 2000 for those without calculators).

Just glad big projects are always late. :rolleyes:

PAH
9th September 2011, 08:43
Sorry but If I had the gumption to start a war based on flying planes into a building I would certainly not be flying them into the building next door to me.

Maybe they cocked up and the 'abort mission' button was wired to 'return to sender' instead of 'self-destruct'.

minestrone
9th September 2011, 09:27
Liam was in fact a Civilian Army Medical Officer after he graduated from Glasgow University - he was always very interested in Politics as well as the NHS - he also came 3rd in the last Tory leadership contest.

I think his background and talents put him in good stead for the Defence Secretary Post- one day he might yet be a Prime Minister.

I recall you said you were acquainted, just always though if you have a GP in the cabinet you might want to use him for health matters during a time when surgeries are being given massive changes in working direction.

Maybe he just not want the gig, I think Fox is very capable though, has an element of cutting through the bullsheet not many have these days. High on trust stakes I would say.

sal626
9th September 2011, 10:17
Probably because he would put that neo-con c0ck jockey Richard Perle in his place.

Tariq Ali did a decent job of that…

I don’t know how Richard Perle can state with a straight face that If they hadn’t invaded Iraq and got rid of Saddam, the Egyptian people would never have toppled Mubarak.

I guess he forgot all the support the US gave Mubarak for 30 odd years…