PDA

View Full Version : Shortage of Engineers in the UK.

zeitghost
8th September 2011, 08:31
BBC News - Engineering graduates 'taking unskilled jobs' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14823042)

Much as I thought, really.

Spend 3 years & 27k getting a "degree", then end up as a burger flipper.

But the CBI, which represents British businesses, said employers still complained of a shortage of suitably qualified and employable candidates.

The CBI's director for education and skills policy, Susan Anderson, said: "The latest CBI survey shows that the shortage of science, technology, engineering and maths graduates is an issue for businesses, but companies also raised questions about the quality of Stem graduates coming through, many of whom were lacking in practical workplace experience or employability skills.

"It's crucial for graduates of all disciplines to do work experience and develop skills like team-working and self-management to have the best possible chance of finding a job."

Ah.

So we're supposed to do all the practical training then, as well as the academic stuff.

Glad we've cleared that up.

:eyes

Oh, yes, and if there's a shortage why aren't salaries & rates going up then?

doodab
8th September 2011, 08:50
The problem isn't a shortage of talent, it's a shortage of quality jobs. If they were there, people would learn how to do them.

DimPrawn
8th September 2011, 09:20
If these engineering grads had any sense they'd be putting their effort into finding a job and a visa in other parts of the world.

Britain can't offer them any sort of future other than low pay and massive debt.

I know someone who has a degree but is studying for another in Geology, as when they are a qualified Geologist they can earn big bucks working for mining companies in Australia and get a work permit too.

BlasterBates
8th September 2011, 09:28
....scary only 46% get jobs, mind you those "Battery Engineering" companies that employed hundreds of Engineering graduates like Marconi and Plessey have gone.

minestrone
8th September 2011, 09:28
There was a sandwich part to my BEng hons but they stopped it as so few people could find a company offering 2 6 month summer placements. In fact the ones that were hired always seemed to have a disability so we all knew there was some quota filling going on.

lilelvis2000
8th September 2011, 09:34
Ah.

So we're supposed to do all the practical training then, as well as the academic stuff.

Glad we've cleared that up.

:eyes

Oh, yes, and if there's a shortage why aren't salaries & rates going up then?

Ahh yes, Come out of school with 3 years on the job experience. Not too to ask eh?

Sounds like the guy who runs a local ecommerce company who said "the people coming out of university are not trained in .Net which is what we use".

Before we used to bring in Bobs to do the dirty jobs, now we do the dirty jobs and Bobs do the quality jobs.

lilelvis2000
8th September 2011, 09:44
If these engineering grads had any sense they'd be putting their effort into finding a job and a visa in other parts of the world.

Britain can't offer them any sort of future other than low pay and massive debt.

I know someone who has a degree but is studying for another in Geology, as when they are a qualified Geologist they can earn big bucks working for mining companies in Australia and get a work permit too.

Its funny, well not really, but the wife and I sometime talk about hopeing our son moves abroad and takes us with him.

Australia (and others) are in the enviable position that they can fully control who comes in. We're buggered as the EU workers are in a lot of low paid work and the EU is doing deals with India for higher paid ones.

DimPrawn
8th September 2011, 10:04
Its funny, well not really, but the wife and I sometime talk about hopeing our son moves abroad and takes us with him.

Australia (and others) are in the enviable position that they can fully control who comes in. We're buggered as the EU workers are in a lot of low paid work and the EU is doing deals with India for higher paid ones.

Vote UKIP. I am.

TimberWolf
8th September 2011, 10:05
Vote UKIP. I am.

All a bit late now don't you think?

DimPrawn
8th September 2011, 10:09
All a bit late now don't you think?

Next election, till then we'll have to suffer this coalition government, which looks just like the last Labour government to me (ie. more immigration, more public sector pay increases, more non-jobs, etc).

Public sector pay rises despite Coalition's 'wage freeze' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/8748005/Public-sector-pay-rises-despite-Coalitions-wage-freeze.html)

DimPrawn
8th September 2011, 10:11
Whatever happened to the "Vote BNP" chappie we used to have on the board?

Probably deported as an illegal.

:laugh

TimberWolf
8th September 2011, 10:15
Next election, till then we'll have to suffer this coalition government, which looks just like the last Labour government to me (ie. more immigration, more public sector pay increases, more non-jobs, etc).

Public sector pay rises despite Coalition's 'wage freeze' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/8748005/Public-sector-pay-rises-despite-Coalitions-wage-freeze.html)

Well, if I recall correctly we always did call Dave the heir to Blair.

I don't think voting UKIP would change anything anyway. The same people run the show no matter what the name of the party. It's all rigged.

lilelvis2000
8th September 2011, 10:15
Probably deported as an illegal.

More likely to have appealed on Article 8 (private & family life) and got discretionary leave.

lilelvis2000
8th September 2011, 10:18
Vote UKIP. I am.

I was originally in the reform camp..but now I just think the EU is so buggered it can never succeed. Such a beast can only exist if it becomes like Canada or the USA....and that ain't ever gonna happen...no matter how hard France tries.

So, nice and expensive experiment while its lasted. Time to give up on it me thinks. Anybody in the country have the guts to do that? 'Cuz Dave certainly doesn't.

vetran
8th September 2011, 11:49
I find there is a shortage of big businesses offering fantastic service, maybe if I upped the amount I paid them the situation might improve?

Strange they don't follow that logic through.

Doggy Styles
8th September 2011, 11:52
Time to give up on it me thinks. Anybody in the country have the guts to do that? 'Cuz Dave certainly doesn't.He can't while he has a coallition with LibDems to keep in line.

His priority is the fecking huge deficit, and all the other shit has to wait or be done on the sneaky.

minestrone
8th September 2011, 12:13
Nobody is ever going to get this nation's engineering industry back again with political change.

The unions tried for years to down play the industry always painting the "the engineer" as a salt of the earth type working on the line with his grubby overalls and milky tea and to be defended because they never earned enough. Engineering is though of as a lower class industry.

We went from the great egg race to the apprentice. Heinz Wolf to Sugar, Professor of Engineering to Labour knighted barrow boy pedaling quick rich scheme ideas to children. Thanks feck I will be retired by the time his young fans get into the office place and think aggressive one up man ship is better than collaborative work practices.

doodab
8th September 2011, 12:16
What happened to gumption?

Peoplesoft bloke
8th September 2011, 12:20
As the numpty from the CBI makes clear there is no "skills shortage" there is just a shortage of people who can afford to take a job at the shite rates that Bob and Oleg can take - and are all the CBI will pay so that they can continue to jack up pay at the top levels (http://highpaycommission.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/HPC_interim_report2011.pdf) in a way that bears zero relation to performance.

We are all being shafted royally by a very few people.

The parties have also stictched up the voting system so UKIP have no chance at all of getting any power in our parliament.

DimPrawn
8th September 2011, 12:26
As the numpty from the CBI makes clear there is no "skills shortage" there is just a shortage of people who can afford to take a job at the tulipe rates that Bob and Oleg can take - and are all the CBI will pay so that they can continue to jack up pay at the top levels (http://highpaycommission.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/HPC_interim_report2011.pdf) in a way that bears zero relation to performance.

We are all being shafted royally by a very few people.

The parties have also stictched up the voting system so UKIP have no chance at all of getting any power in our parliament.

Which pretty much leads me to conclude that for many people the best option is to start a new life in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore or Canada. Not perfect places, but a much brighter future for many.

doodab
8th September 2011, 12:29
I returned to the UK a few months ago. My current plan is to get out permanently ASAP. It's a shithole and the job market is ****ed.

Doggy Styles
8th September 2011, 13:36
Airports must be in chaos every couple of weeks as hordes of CUK'ers and their friends rush to leave the country after each latest bit of bad news! :laugh

doodab
8th September 2011, 14:24
Airports must be in chaos every couple of weeks as hordes of CUK'ers and their friends rush to leave the country after each latest bit of bad news! :laugh

Form what I have seen, it seems most UK airports are in chaos more or less constantly.

craig1
8th September 2011, 14:36
The killer for the UK will be when the last UK worker is outsourced or Bob'ed and all the big consumer facing companies wonder why no-one can afford to buy their products.

Place I'm at now announced huge successes in their efficiency and customer complaints reduction efforts then in the next paragraph said that that meant they no longer needed 600 people and those jobs would be outsourced. Yay for business ethics and employee relations!

conned tractor
8th September 2011, 15:36
:frown

sasguru
8th September 2011, 15:39
I returned to the UK a few months ago. My current plan is to get out permanently ASAP. It's a tuliphole and the job market is ****ed.

Oh I don't know. Life in a nice area of London is very pleasant and my sector is booming.

shaunbhoy
8th September 2011, 15:47
Oh I don't know. Life in a nice area of London is very pleasant and my sector is booming.

In your sector, I have heard you described as "the cream" sasguru.
The thick bit you get at the top obviously!

scooterscot
8th September 2011, 15:47
Nobody is ever going to get this nation's engineering industry back again with political change.

The unions tried for years to down play the industry always painting the "the engineer" as a salt of the earth type working on the line with his grubby overalls and milky tea and to be defended because they never earned enough. Engineering is though of as a lower class industry.

We went from the great egg race to the apprentice. Heinz Wolf to Sugar, Professor of Engineering to Labour knighted barrow boy pedaling quick rich scheme ideas to children. Thanks feck I will be retired by the time his young fans get into the office place and think aggressive one up man ship is better than collaborative work practices.

:yay:

I needn't tell you engineering experience out here is somewhat different.

doodab
8th September 2011, 15:48

That's another thing, It's full of smug *******.

sasguru
8th September 2011, 16:01
That's another thing, It's full of smug *******.

Oh I don't know. Germany seems to be full of bitter, impoverished, medicocre expats.

doodab
8th September 2011, 16:12
Oh I don't know. Germany seems to be full of bitter, impoverished, medicocre expats.

I wouldn't know, I live in south west London now.

I noticed someone I know is looking for a SAS/SQL bod and rates are about comparable with what I was earning in the fatherland. I might tap him up. It can't be that hard.