• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shortage of Engineers in the UK.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shortage of Engineers in the UK.

BBC News - Engineering graduates 'taking unskilled jobs'

Much as I thought, really.

Spend 3 years & 27k getting a "degree", then end up as a burger flipper.

Originally posted by Some Numpty Feckwhit from the CBI
    But the CBI, which represents British businesses, said employers still complained of a shortage of suitably qualified and employable candidates.

The CBI's director for education and skills policy, Susan Anderson, said: "The latest CBI survey shows that the shortage of science, technology, engineering and maths graduates is an issue for businesses, but companies also raised questions about the quality of Stem graduates coming through, many of whom were lacking in practical workplace experience or employability skills.

"It's crucial for graduates of all disciplines to do work experience and develop skills like team-working and self-management to have the best possible chance of finding a job."
    Ah.

So we're supposed to do all the practical training then, as well as the academic stuff.

Glad we've cleared that up.

Oh, yes, and if there's a shortage why aren't salaries & rates going up then?
    Last edited by zeitghost; 4 May 2017, 12:01.

The problem isn't a shortage of talent, it's a shortage of quality jobs. If they were there, people would learn how to do them.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

If these engineering grads had any sense they'd be putting their effort into finding a job and a visa in other parts of the world.

Britain can't offer them any sort of future other than low pay and massive debt.

I know someone who has a degree but is studying for another in Geology, as when they are a qualified Geologist they can earn big bucks working for mining companies in Australia and get a work permit too.

Comment

....scary only 46% get jobs, mind you those "Battery Engineering" companies that employed hundreds of Engineering graduates like Marconi and Plessey have gone.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

There was a sandwich part to my BEng hons but they stopped it as so few people could find a company offering 2 6 month summer placements. In fact the ones that were hired always seemed to have a disability so we all knew there was some quota filling going on.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Ah.

So we're supposed to do all the practical training then, as well as the academic stuff.

Glad we've cleared that up.

Oh, yes, and if there's a shortage why aren't salaries & rates going up then?
            Ahh yes, Come out of school with 3 years on the job experience. Not too to ask eh?

Sounds like the guy who runs a local ecommerce company who said "the people coming out of university are not trained in .Net which is what we use".

Before we used to bring in Bobs to do the dirty jobs, now we do the dirty jobs and Bobs do the quality jobs.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              If these engineering grads had any sense they'd be putting their effort into finding a job and a visa in other parts of the world.

Britain can't offer them any sort of future other than low pay and massive debt.

I know someone who has a degree but is studying for another in Geology, as when they are a qualified Geologist they can earn big bucks working for mining companies in Australia and get a work permit too.
              Its funny, well not really, but the wife and I sometime talk about hopeing our son moves abroad and takes us with him.

Australia (and others) are in the enviable position that they can fully control who comes in. We're buggered as the EU workers are in a lot of low paid work and the EU is doing deals with India for higher paid ones.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                Its funny, well not really, but the wife and I sometime talk about hopeing our son moves abroad and takes us with him.

Australia (and others) are in the enviable position that they can fully control who comes in. We're buggered as the EU workers are in a lot of low paid work and the EU is doing deals with India for higher paid ones.
                Vote UKIP. I am.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Vote UKIP. I am.
                  All a bit late now don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    All a bit late now don't you think?
                    Next election, till then we'll have to suffer this coalition government, which looks just like the last Labour government to me (ie. more immigration, more public sector pay increases, more non-jobs, etc).

Public sector pay rises despite Coalition's 'wage freeze' - Telegraph

Comment

Working...
                    X