• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Huxley admission

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huxley admission

Received a contract e-mail description the other day from this outfit.

In with the job description as bold as brass,
    "Please note that all applicants will be reference-checked prior to CV-submission."

This actually is quite useful. 'Cos now they're advertising the fact they're just trawling for contact names and that the contract is bogus.

Passage Proverbs 3:28:

28 Do not say to your neighbor,
    "Come back later; I'll give it tomorrow"—
    when you now have it with you.
    If you have done no wrong then you have nothing to fear ...perhaps.

Comment

Been seeing similar on Jobserve. Right there in the ad "you must supply two references with your application". Makes it easier to ignore I guess.

Comment

The answer is quite simple, dont use them. Eventually...if enough people DONT use their services they might start to ask questions why.

Mailman

Comment

No, they'll go whining to the government that there is a "skills shortage".

The skill being cluelessness...

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Nah.

They're too dumb for that...
            Contractors or agents?

Mailman

Comment

Well how dull

I was hoping for an expose of Huxley, Cuddles and Horace rampant 3-in-a-bed cocaine-fuelled filth. Instead it's some vermin from an agency telling the truth for once.
              Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
                This actually is quite useful. 'Cos now they're advertising the fact they're just trawling for contact names and that the contract is bogus.
                You could be right. But it is not unknown for companies to insist on reference checking before they will look at anybody. Both permanent and contract. The rationale is to prevent them withdrawing an offer when the references don't stack up.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
                  But it is not unknown for companies to insist on reference checking before they will look at anybody
                  Would these be the same companies I wonder who get so fed up spending all day on the phone with agents giving references for past employees/contractors and completing e-mail reference requests for same ?

Why get fed up with something they 'supposedly' feed ?

Comment

Hmm, an attempted application of logic to the client-agent-contractor relationship.

How quaint.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X