• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for cooks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for cooks

Morning all,

I'm looking for ideas for an impressive, delicious Fish based main course recipe for this evening, any favourite recipes you care to share?

And while I'm asking, I'm terrible at deserts which usually revolve around homemade ice cream or choc mousse, any other ideas?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this thread causes hunger.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

we did a whole salmon using this method from Delia...

Foil-baked Salmon served with English Parsley Sauce - Salmon - Recipes - from Delia Online

it was fantastic

Milan.

Comment

Easy but very tasty and always impressive:

Pound together some coriander, fish sauce, chillies, garlic, sugar, salt and lime juice (i won't go into amounts but the sauce should taste; hot, sour, salty and sweet). Spread over a whole sea bass or seabass fillets wrap in tin foil or baking parchment and place in the oven for 12 mins (fillets), 20 - 30 mins (whole bass).

Whole trout/salmon stuffed with fennel, lemon and parsely baked in the oven or poached, serve with dill mayonnaise and new potatoes.

as for easy dessert go for panna cotta, served with fresh berries.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

You can't beat a fishfinger sandwich.

Is this the perfect fish finger sandwich? | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

Comment

No, it isn't! Who the hell sticks a potato waffle in a 'fish finger' sandwich? Not to mention putting salad cream on it.

A fish finger sandwich contains fish fingers (only) with either ketchup or mayonnaise (or both, if you're feeling really extravagant).
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Fish and chips with mushy peas.
            Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

For desert stick with your homemade ice cream but serve with some raspberries that you have warmed in a pan with some vodka & sugar: then pour raspberries & sauce over the ice cream: if feeling decadent add a nice warmed chocolate brownie to the dish as well
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                No, it isn't! Who the hell sticks a potato waffle in a 'fish finger' sandwich? Not to mention putting salad cream on it.

A fish finger sandwich contains fish fingers (only) with either ketchup or mayonnaise (or both, if you're feeling really extravagant).
                Well it is the Guardian FFS!

I like fishfingers, chicken flavoured Walkers crisps and a tiny amount of Heinz tomato ketchup in mine.

Yum!

Comment

Oh, I forgot pudding.
                  Chocolate or treacle sponge and custard.

Recipes all over the internet.
                  Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

COURGETTE CAKE

2 eggs
                    100ml flavourless oil (eg, vegetable, sunflower)
                    225g caster sugar
                    350g grated courgettes
                    1 and half tsp vanilla essence
                    70g sultanas
                    175g self-raising flour
                    1 and half tsp cinnamon or mixed spice

- preheat oven to 160c (gas mark 3)
                    - grease and line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin
                    - beat the eggs until light and foamy
                    - add the oil, sugar, courgettes and essence and mix lightly, until combined
                    - fold in the flour, spice and sultanas
                    - pour into the tin and bake for 1 hour 15 mins, or until cooked through.

NOTE:This is the recipe as written, but I'd make the following adjustments:
                    If I made this again I would reduce the amount of courgettes used by 100g. I would also squeeze them in some kitchen towel to remove some of the moisture.
                    I also always soak dried fruit to plump it up. In this cake I soaked the sultanas in earl grey tea with a cinnamon stick for a good hour before using. Drain well before using.

Comment

Working...
                    X