PDA

View Full Version : Property better than gold

sasguru
9th September 2011, 10:46
London's hotspot property prices to double | Reuters (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/09/09/uk-london-property-idUKLNE78800320110909)

I'm sitting pretty :smokin

AtW
9th September 2011, 10:47
"According to a report from estate agency Knight Frank."

sasguru
9th September 2011, 10:51
And I don't even have to do anything, just live.

Buying in a good area of London is the ultimate no-brainer, relaxing, sure-fire investment, as it has been for centuries.

DimPrawn
9th September 2011, 11:10
according to a report from estate agency Knight Frank.
according to a report from estate agency Knight Frank

An agent said it, so it must be true.

Repeat after me.

doodab
9th September 2011, 11:11
Buying in a good area of London is the ultimate no-brainer, relaxing, sure-fire investment, as it has been for centuries.

When are you moving?

sasguru
9th September 2011, 11:13
Other sources have predicted the same.
But anyway Dim, its too late for you, you're locked out forever.
Prime London prices are rising even faster than your fantasy pounds can grow :laugh:laugh:laugh

sasguru
9th September 2011, 11:15
When are you moving?

Whuich part of SW London do you live in?

BrilloPad
9th September 2011, 11:16
London's hotspot property prices to double | Reuters (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/09/09/uk-london-property-idUKLNE78800320110909)

I'm sitting pretty :smokin

As long as the government keeps printing money (oops sorry keeps on with QE) to throw at the bankers then yes.

DimPrawn
9th September 2011, 11:17
As long as the government keeps printing money (oops sorry keeps on with QE) to throw at the bankers then yes.

So Frank Knight are correct then?

The price of baked beans are set to double, so I'm off to buy a tin.

sasguru
9th September 2011, 11:17

Not just the bankers driving this.
Foreign investors who think of London as a safe haven.

DimPrawn
9th September 2011, 11:18
Not just the bankers driving this.
Foreign investors who think of London as a safe haven.

The've obviously never visited your neck of the woods then.

Only safe if you wear a stab proof vest and stay indoors.

:laugh

sasguru
9th September 2011, 11:21
The've obviously never visited your neck of the woods then.

Only safe if you wear a stab proof vest and stay indoors.

You'd love to live where I do. No seriously, you would. But you can't afford it.

DimPrawn
9th September 2011, 11:27
You'd love to live where I do. No seriously, you would. But you can't afford it.

Not true.

1 bedroom house for sale in Westdean Close, Wandsworth, SW18, SW18 (http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-19508355.html)

:smokin

doodab
9th September 2011, 11:35
Whuich part of SW London do you live in?

Wimbledon.

I used to live quite close to your neck of the woods, by the southern end of Clapham Common where the tube is.

sasguru
9th September 2011, 11:37
Wimbledon.

I used to live quite close to your neck of the woods, by the southern end of Clapham Common where the tube is.

That's not where I am, I'm in the Toast Rack.

Clearly you must be in the grotty part of Wimbledon since you describe it as a tulip hole and you wouldn't if you were in the nice part.

doodab
9th September 2011, 12:02
That's not where I am, I'm in the Toast Rack.

Crumbs. You're a good mile away from where I used to live. Closer to the prison than my old house in fact.

Clearly you must be in the grotty part of Wimbledon since you describe it as a tulip hole and you wouldn't if you were in the nice part.

I'm in the village. If you read closely, you will notice I frequently describe London and the UK as a shit hole. While it has it's nice spots the unfortunate truth is that most of London is a bit of a dump, and however rich one is one cannot simply bulldoze 90% of it into the sea.

Mich the Tester
9th September 2011, 12:06
Property better than gold

Yes at least you can live in it even if it isn't worth much.

sasguru
9th September 2011, 12:06
... most of London is a bit of a dump....

I would say any of the London "villages" are fine, most of everything else is a dump.
But thats true of most capitals: Paris (almost everything around the pretty tourist centre) and Berlin , Madrid and Lisboa too ....
The only decent capital city in Europe is Rome and even that has its dumps .
Lets not even start on the US.

But only London lets you get rich just living in it.

doodab
9th September 2011, 12:22
I would say any of the London "villages" are fine, most of everything else is a dump.
But thats true of most capitals: Paris (almost everything around the pretty tourist centre) and Berlin , Madrid and Lisboa too ....
The only decent capital city in Europe is Rome and even that has its dumps .
Lets not even start on the US.

Yes, some areas are nice enough, but the fact is you cannot confine your existence to those small areas and that forces you to deal with the rest of it.

Stockholm, Copenhagen & Vienna spring to mind as capital cities that are also decent places to live. Lisbon is indeed grim. Rome I would put in the same bracket TBH, great as a tourist but I wouldn't want to live there in a million years.

sasguru
9th September 2011, 12:27
Yes, some areas are nice enough, but the fact is you cannot confine your existence to those small areas and that forces you to deal with the rest of it.

Stockholm, Copenhagen & Vienna spring to mind as capital cities that are also decent places to live. .

I hardly think you can compare the capiatal cities of small homogenous countries to global centres like London Paris or Berlin or New York
Some would find the former stiflingly provincial. All depends on your personality and interests..

And like I say if you bought in London at any point in the medium or distant past you can live anywhere you want in the world, in the best areas.

doodab
9th September 2011, 12:33
I hardly think you can compare the capiatal cities of small homogenous countries to global centres like London Paris or Berlin or New York
Some would find the former stiflingly provincial. All depends on your personality and interests..

Many of the smaller capitals are also global centres of something or other, the difference is that they don't have an extra 6-7 million bodies clogging the place up and dragging the standard of living down. I'm not sure I would count Berlin as a "global centre" either, Frankfurt or Munich are both streets ahead in that regard.

It's odd how well Tokyo copes with such a high population density. I wouldn't mind a stint as an expat there.

AtW
9th September 2011, 12:39

Especially in 1666.

Factor in a few major plagues and situation ain't as rosy as it seems.

AtW
9th September 2011, 12:39
It's odd how well Tokyo copes with such a high population density.

Have you seen size of Japanese rooms? It's not for everyone.

sasguru
9th September 2011, 12:40
It's odd how well Tokyo copes with such a high population density..

No it's not. Cultural homogeneity and close adherence to cultural norms.

doodab
9th September 2011, 12:41
Have you seen size of Japanese rooms? It's not for everyone.

There is that.

sasguru
9th September 2011, 12:41
Especially in 1666.

Factor in a few major plagues and situation ain't as rosy as it seems.

I think you're in the wrong thread. You should be posting in "Rental Bedsits in dirty Northern shitholes" thread

doodab
9th September 2011, 12:48
And like I say if you bought in London at any point in the medium or distant past you can live anywhere you want in the world, in the best areas.

While you are correct, the thing you seem to miss is that in order to buy in a nice area one needed to be fairly well to do which of course means one could have lived anywhere in the world in a good area whether they bought in London or not.

For most people London is far too overcrowded and expensive to get the best out of it and even if one is already quite rich to start with it's not the best choice for most of those who want to do more with their life than boast about the value of their house. Like you said, it depends on your personality and interests.

sasguru
9th September 2011, 12:53
While you are correct, the thing you seem to miss is that in order to buy in a nice area one needed to be fairly well to do which of course means one could have lived anywhere in the world in a good area whether they bought in London or not.

For most people London is far too overcrowded and expensive to get the best out of it and even if one is already quite rich to start with it's not the best choice for most of those who want to do more with their life than boast about the value of their house. Like you said, it depends on your personality and interests.

Not true. You lack imagination, like all IT bods.
For example I have a paid-for house worth more than 1 million, but I started from scratch not much more than 15 years ago.

HTH

Mich the Tester
9th September 2011, 12:55
For example I have a paid-for house worth more than 1 million, but I started from scratch not much more than 15 years ago.
HTH
Ah, so you ARE a social climber!

Urrghh, how very arriviste.

sasguru
9th September 2011, 13:07
Ah, so you ARE a social climber!

Urrghh, how very arriviste.

Not really, poly boy, I was impoverished aristocracy.

AtW
9th September 2011, 13:08

And the way riots go you'll soon be pulverised :laugh

doodab
9th September 2011, 13:09

HTH

And you've been trotting out that line about "IT bods lacking imagination" for about the same sort of time. It seems you rather lack imagination yourself. You also seem to have it confused with being in the right place at the right time, and very little idea what it actually entails. It's precisely because I have some that I didn't take the rather uncreative route of mortgaging myself to the eyeballs like so many others.

AtW
9th September 2011, 13:11
It seems you rather lack imagination yourself.

sasguru is a well known sockie master who gave us such gems like Chico and Wilmslow...

sasguru
9th September 2011, 13:15
It's precisely because I have some that I didn't take the rather uncreative route of mortgaging myself to the eyeballs like so many others.

So you're renting in Wimbledon Village. Ouch. That must hurt.

Mich the Tester

You really wish I would rise to that bait, but you know that I won't.

sasguru
sasguru is a well known sockie master who gave us such gems like Chico and Wilmslow...

And the rest, son, and the rest ....

sasguru
9th September 2011, 13:16
You really wish I would rise to that bait, but you know that I won't.

Not really.

Mich the Tester
9th September 2011, 13:19
Not really.

Unlike you Sas, I'm not really very intelligent, but then unlike you I've never really needed to be intelligent. :wink

AtW
9th September 2011, 13:20
Unlike you Sas, I'm not really very intelligent, but then unlike you I've never really needed to be intelligent. :wink

Your job does not require it - you seek faults in other people's work rather than trying to do actual work yourself.

Mich the Tester
9th September 2011, 13:22
Your job does not require it - you seek faults in other people's work rather than trying to do actual work yourself.

Why do they keep making it so easy?

AtW
9th September 2011, 13:23
Why do they keep making it so easy?

It keeps you from finding real serious errors.

Mich the Tester
9th September 2011, 13:24
It keeps you from finding real serious errors.

Oh well that's OK as long as I can invoice.

DimPrawn
9th September 2011, 13:27
You also seem to have it confused with being in the right place at the right time, and very little idea what it actually entails..

There's an old saying, it is better in life to be lucky than smart, and sasguru epitomises this trait.

sasguru
9th September 2011, 13:29
There's an old saying, it is better in life to be lucky than smart, and sasguru epitomises this trait.

I think the saying is is "its better to be rich and stupid .....". Now I'm one of those and you're one of those.
I'll let the congregation decide who is what.:wink

Mich the Tester
9th September 2011, 13:30

Yes indeed, anyone who can look around his bedsit and convince himself it's a manor house has been very lucky with his psychological issues.

:wink

sasguru
9th September 2011, 13:31
Yes indeed, anyone who can look around his bedsit and convince himself it's a manor house has been very lucky with his psychological issues.

:laugh:laugh:laugh

DimPrawn
9th September 2011, 13:32

If you are poor but have a good imagination, life is pretty sweet.

sasguru
9th September 2011, 13:34
If you are poor but have a good imagination, life is pretty sweet.

Your new nurse is much better than your old one. Looks like she gives your meds on time.

DimPrawn
9th September 2011, 13:35
Your new nurse is much better than your old one. Looks like she gives your meds on time.

Sorry, got to go, helicopter is waiting outside.

:wave:

AtW
9th September 2011, 13:37
Sorry, got to go, helicopter is waiting outside.

:wave:

WAIT!!!

You forgot your spaghetti!!

doodab
9th September 2011, 13:59
So you're renting in Wimbledon Village. Ouch. That must hurt.

It was a bit of a comedown from Marylebone but I've adjusted. We have a couple of new Waitrose now which makes it easier to bear.