• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Damn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn

My camera went AWOL today. I was feeling a bit peeved when I got back to discover it missing, mostly because I'd allowed some scrote to nick it. I should've paid more attention to keeping my sports bag zipped up I thought. Not only did some scrote think they could nick something off me of all people, but they did too! <dark thoughts runs through mind if I'd spotted him, mostly involving me going to prison>

But something didn't add up. I still have the camera case, still unzipped. Oh yes, I remember now, I took a couple of pictures and decided to carry the camera in hand rather than put it back up in its case. Then I went to look at some exhibits in another room, got interested in a one-one talk about sedimentary and igneous rocks, and picked a few rocks up....

D'oh! I must have put my camera down at the exhibit desk and not picked it back up afterwards. Some relief that I wasn't nicked from, but still no camera.

Odd that the woman talking to me about rocks didn't call after me, but I'm fairly confident that that's where I left it, with a small chance I left it at a following exhibit. Bit vague on what I touched in that room after the rock talk (has been a long day looking at all sorts), but nothing comes to mind. Only a £55 camera. Incidentally I mentioned the "golden shower" hypothesis recently published here and in Nature to her, and about being surprised that the convection currents are still going strong, billions of years later, but she said they were also driven by normal convection, which seem obvious now that they should.

Lost/found desk not open until Monday...

Odds of retrieval?

I reckon you'll get it back. Betcha.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Left mine on a bench in Capri. Don't think I'll be seeing it again.

Comment

Took the kids out a couple of weeks ago for the day to a country park. Spent the whole day running around, gurning, chasing, ice-creams, nappy changes, games, train rides etc etc

Then near 5.00 I was rolling down a hill with my daughter, teaching her to get dizzy(and dirty) when some coins came out of my pocket.

Oh bugger I picked them up. And then thought... Where are my car keys? Oh bugger they were in my pocket.

A five minute run around. No keys! Back to the pram. No keys. Through the bag. No keys. The grim truth beginning to dawn.

Shag. I've been here eight hours, this place is massive. So calmly and cooly I got them ready and made for the gates. My first thought was not of 'stolen car', 'lost keys' etc, but was - 'ah feck it, I have another key at home. Yes I'm 20 miles from home, so I need a taxi with child seats. I'll take them back and come back tomorrow(assuming I still have a car).

Went to the gates and asked. 'No nothing handed in. Tried the cafe, the toilets. No - still nothing.' Have you tried the women on reception of the camp site, someone said.

I wondered over to reception and asked if anyone had handed in any keys. 'No' she said. I glanced over and on the far desk was some keys. My keys!! So I wondered around and picked them up 'These are them. Thanks for that'!

So yes, the implausible can happen.

[wipes brow smiley]
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Took the kids out a couple of weeks ago for the day to a country park. Spent the whole day running around, gurning, chasing, ice-creams, nappy changes, games, train rides etc etc

Then near 5.00 I was rolling down a hill with my daughter, teaching her to get dizzy(and dirty) when some coins came out of my pocket.

Oh bugger I picked them up. And then thought... Where are my car keys? Oh bugger they were in my pocket.

A five minute run around. No keys! Back to the pram. No keys. Through the bag. No keys. The grim truth beginning to dawn.

Shag. I've been here eight hours, this place is massive. So calmly and cooly I got them ready and made for the gates. My first thought was not of 'stolen car', 'lost keys' etc, but was - 'ah feck it, I have another key at home. Yes I'm 20 miles from home, so I need a taxi with child seats. I'll take them back and come back tomorrow(assuming I still have a car).

Went to the gates and asked. 'No nothing handed in. Tried the cafe, the toilets. No - still nothing.' Have you tried the women on reception of the camp site, someone said.

I wondered over to reception and asked if anyone had handed in any keys. 'No' she said. I glanced over and on the far desk was some keys. My keys!! So I wondered around and picked them up 'These are them. Thanks for that'!

So yes, the implausible can happen.

[wipes brow smiley]
          I keep a spare car key hidden in the car, but would have to smash a window to get to it. [which is the 'best' window to break?] I realised after coming back from holiday last tine that I didn't actually need to take my car key with me, as I catch a bus to the airport anyway, d'oh!, so it stays at home now.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            I reckon you'll get it back. Betcha.
            Correct. All back safe and sound. I was going to leave a £5 reward but whoever handed it in (likely the rock woman) didn't leave any details.

Comment

Working...
            X