• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Div and layer Navigation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Div and layer Navigation

I am trudging through web design at the moment. I have strayed away from the dreaded tables and frames and im now using div/layers and CSS.

Problem, I have created a portal style layout with the content (interactive) portion in the middle of a styled outer section. The outer part holds the drop down menus and breadcrumbs etc.

I want to avoid reloading the whole page and have only the centre screen reload during navigation. I know something similar can be done with frames but i dont like the resticitions they give on layout (split left, top etc)

Any suggestions? May be a Javascript snippet that can distinguish between layers?

Struggling in Brum

iframes
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

"Reload the page and use SSI"

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
        iframes
        Aren't they specific to IE and not FF?

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
          Aren't they specific to IE and not FF?
          No, all browsers support them. But it is indeed better to handle the problem at the server end with SSI or scripting. With a proper div/css layout, the overhead of reloading the whole page won't be large.

Comment

I've had to use iFrames and other tricks in the past to get round difficulties with loading times or to minimise the impact on the server... sometimes there is no other workable option especially when the database set up is bad and theres no hope of getting it changed.

Reading the post again though... just reload the whole thing. And don't try and get too clever, it'll just come back to bite you (or some other unlucky individual)
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by bored
              No, all browsers support them. But it is indeed better to handle the problem at the server end with SSI or scripting. With a proper div/css layout, the overhead of reloading the whole page won't be large.
              Remember now we chose not to use them about a year ago when there were still sufficient people who would not have updated to the latest browser - a lot of the customer base were older people who don't update that often and we didn't want to exclude them. Always pays to consider what browser versions your customer base use - often forgotten.

It is incredibly surprising though the speed of delivery to the browser when using div/css. A lot of it is in the design ie not to many graphics etc, most sites do not require graphics but just a simple readable layout.

Comment

If they are using browsers so old they don't support iframes (and we're probably talking 0.1% of the population), then the support for CSS will be almost zero, and so the layout will degrade into a pile of tulipe.

Just reload the bloody page. That's what browsers are designed to do very efficiently in most cases.

Anyone who isn't using IE or FF is probably a retard or a geek, and they deserve to be excluded.

HTH.

Comment

Oi! What about people with mobile devices.... 'tis a growing market and more and more sites will have to support them...

P.S Im not a retread and i'm not greek either
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by cswd

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.
                    Hehe - read the last paragraph of my previous post
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X