• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can agents forward on your details without asking you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can agents forward on your details without asking you?

Hi there,

Just had a call from an agent that was a bit too keen to put my details forward to a client that has already contacted me directly. There are a number of avenues in which i'd like to apply for the role (if i do) and going through the agent is probably not one of them. I spoke to him on the phone and he mentioned that even though I was in contact he would still send my details over. I firmly said I'd rather not he did that until I had asked him to and until I knew where I stood with my current contract (unsure as to whether I'd be likely to be extended yet).

Anywho. I followed the phone call up with another email saying please don't speak to the client about me until I have been in contact, but I am still a little worried that he would send off my details. Are agents allowed to do this?!

Thanks in advance for your input!

They shouldn't but some of the more unscrupulous ones do. Generally though, the vast majority won't and will respect your desires.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
      They shouldn't but some of the more unscrupulous ones do. Generally though, the vast majority won't and will respect your desires.
      If they do, and you've told them not to, they will have an interesting and expensive discussion with your solicitors regarding the Data Protection Act...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        If they do, and you've told them not to, they will have an interesting and expensive discussion with your solicitors regarding the Data Protection Act...
        Thanks! Was wondering if there was some sort of law against it!!

Comment

Data Protection Act and the Information Commissioner are about as toothless in practice as the Press Complaints Commission. They might huff and puff but they get nothing done.

Comment

Data Protection Act and the Information Commissioner are about as toothless in practice as the Press Complaints Commission. They might huff and puff but they get nothing done.
            Maybe, but it doesn't stop you suing them for damaages caused by a breach of the Act, does it. And if you're a client, would you deal with an agency that breaks the DPA?

(OK, RBS and Hays excepted, obviously... )
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Maybe, but it doesn't stop you suing them for damaages caused by a breach of the Act, does it. And if you're a client, would you deal with an agency that breaks the DPA?
              True... not sure how much damages you could get though. As a client, most couldn't care as those who do the speculative submissions are not on the PSL and are just hoping for an "in", usually unsuccessfully but then it doesn't stop them trying.
              (OK, RBS and Hays excepted, obviously... )

Comment

Can they? Yes
                Do they? Yes
                Should they? No
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

They can cause a lot of disruption if they decide to do a proper investigation rather than just letter sending exercise.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X