• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. LXXXIX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. LXXXIX

Post 20,000
    • Daily Mail fail: Samantha Cameron and Gwyneth Paltrow Photoshopped together - "Why, it's Prime Minister David Cameron's wife Samantha posing with Hollywood A-lister Gwyneth Paltrow of course! Except... wait a minute... what's this?!" One of the worst Photoshop jobs ever seen in a national newspaper (and the Mail has done some pretty bad ones in the past).

• The Art of Assembly Language Programming - "Amazing! You're actually reading this. That puts you into one of three categories: a student who is being forced to read this stuff for a class, someone who picked up this book by accident (probably because you have yet to be indoctrinated by the world at large), or one of the few who actually have an interest in learning assembly language." A complete online textbook. Now you too can program computers the way John Von Neumann intended

• Isaac Asimov Marvels At Miniaturization - "A few years ago, the idea of a computer you could put in your pocket was just science fiction." I remember this 1982 ad for the TRS-80 Pocket Computer

• You Will Never Be A Centaur!: Woman Injects Herself With Horse Blood For 'Art' - "French 'artist' Marion Laval-Jeantet has been injecting herself with horse blood as part of a performance/WTF art piece entitled 'May The Horse Live In Me'. Why? I don't know, but rest assured not a good reason."

• How The Transistor Got Its Name - "It’s Labor Day here in the US — a good time to look over the work of folks who have gone before us, and maybe learn something new about our past. So I thought it would be neat to share this Bell Laboratories memo from the spring of 1948. The memo, distributed to the senior technical staff, contained a ballot asking them to choose a name for a new device invented the previous winter – the semiconductor triode. Several options were presented, including my personal favorite, the Iotatron." Here's the complete memo.

• What we SHOULD have been taught in our senior year of high school - Comic The Oatmeal once again hits numerous nails on the head: "Up until now the social structure in our school has taught you that the number of friends you have depends on your ability to play sports. But after high school, that means **** all."

• Free-Market Meat Market - "Two weeks ago, Ayn Rand aficionado Alan Greenspan admitted to a House subcommittee that his libertarian economic worldview had been shaken by events on Wall Street; last week, Governor Paterson approvingly cited Rand’s advocacy of stout individualism, which he says citizens of New York State will need during the budget crisis. Meanwhile, on TheAtlasphere.com, a dating site, Rand fans are just looking for love; below, excerpts from user profiles." Some of these are real catches; I'm sure all the CUK laydees will go weak at the knees for "I love intelligent, sassy girls, particularly those working in consulting or investment banking (but other fields are great too). Really, nothing is hotter than an accomplished girl in a suit, as long as she is willing to settle down and have my children."

• Gloomy Crowds Captured as Shadows After Soviet Union Collapse - "After the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991, photographer Alexey Titarenko observed how St. Petersburg streets that used to be lively and filled with joyful people had suddenly turned dark and gloomy, with people confused, malnourished, and worn out. He decided to capture this change by shooting the streets at slow shutter speeds, turning the downtrodden crowds into shadowy figures. He titled the resulting project 'City of Shadows'."

• Ariane 5 User's Manual (PDF) - "This User’s Manual provides essential data on the Ariane 5 launch System, which together with Soyuz and Vega constitutes the European Space Transportation union." The Soyuz and Vega manuals are also available, giving you all you need to know to get that payload of yours into orbit

• Your Amazon is Irrelevant - "Weird and Strange Amazon Products" Including such worthy tomes as Do-It-Yourself Coffins:

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Post 20,000
    • The Art of Assembly Language Programming - "Amazing! You're actually reading this. That puts you into one of three categories: a student who is being forced to read this stuff for a class, someone who picked up this book by accident (probably because you have yet to be indoctrinated by the world at large), or one of the few who actually have an interest in learning assembly language." A complete online textbook. Now you too can program computers the way John Von Neumann intended

Happy invoicing!
    Machines have so much memory today, saving space using assembly is not important. If you give someone an inch, they'll take a mile. Nowhere in programming does this saying have more application than in program memory use. For the longest time, programmers were quite happy with 4 Kbytes. Later, machines had 32 or even 64 Kilobytes. The programs filled up memory accordingly. Today, many machines have 32 or 64 megabytes of memory installed and some applications use it all. There are lots of technical reasons why programmers should strive to write shorter programs, though now is not the time to go into that. Let's just say that space is important and programmers should strive to write programs as short as possible regardless of how much main memory they have in their machine.
    Dear dead days beyond recall.

And following the twisty little passages:

Retro Thing: Scratch-Built 8-bit Retro Computer

Loved the description of the 6809 as "obscure".

Stone me:

Retro Thing: Your Chance to Build a New Sinclair ZX81

And

Retro Thing: Rebirth Of The First Sinclair Computer

I have one of those in the storeroom.

£39.95 was a lot of money in 1978.

Knocking on for a week's wages.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 4 May 2017, 15:16.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      And following the twisty little passages:

Retro Thing: Scratch-Built 8-bit Retro Computer

Dragon...

I used to run OS/9 on mine...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        My brother-in-law has got a potty-putter (first item on this page)

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Dragon...

Showoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Dragon...

I've got a printout of the source code for PolyFORTH II on the 6809. Of course, being FORTH, it uses a Reverse Polish assembler syntax

I drew heavily on that listing and the Acornsoft book FORTH on the BBC Microcomputer when implementing FORTH on the (68000-based) Atari ST many moons ago. Ah, dear, dead days beyond recall

Comment

Handy tip for Kindle + chrome users:
              Send To Kindle – Push Web Articles From Chrome To Kindle [Extension]
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

$240 total for a ZX-81 kit shipped to the UK

The problem for many people would be finding a 625-line PAL TV it could be plugged in to... unless of course the US kits output 525-line NTSC

Comment

Isn't it monochrome anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81

Yup.

Retro Thing: Colossus: The Computer No One Knew Existed
                  Last edited by zeitghost; 4 May 2017, 15:15.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                    Isn't it monochrome anyway?

ZX81 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yup.
                    Try the Jupiter ACE, at least you get hi(ish)-res graphics...

Comment

Working...
                    X