• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handcuff clauses for rejected clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handcuff clauses for rejected clients

Hi all,
    Last time round, I received two offers at the same time, and I declined one of them. Now I don't have any signed contract, and hopefully the client will have nothing signed from the agency stating any handcuff clause. Is it okay, to just contact the client directly? I had let the client know about the reasons why I am declining the offer, and they were okay with it. The CIO said that they would be interested in a business relation in future.
    Do I have to inform the agent, who introduced the client in the first place?
    Thanks.
    Dave.

If you have the clients details I don't see a problem letting him know you are available again and ask if there is a chance to work with him.

You don't mention how long since you declined but if it is in the last 6 months or so I would expect he will put you back through the agent just to reduce the paperwork/hassle.

If it is longer the agent doesn't really have dibs on you anymore but again I wouldn't be surprised if the client actually puts you back through him. They generally use agencies so they don't have to bother with direct dealings with contractors but things may have changed.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
      Hi all,
      Last time round, I received two offers at the same time, and I declined one of them. Now I don't have any signed contract, and hopefully the client will have nothing signed from the agency stating any handcuff clause. Is it okay, to just contact the client directly? I had let the client know about the reasons why I am declining the offer, and they were okay with it. The CIO said that they would be interested in a business relation in future.
      Do I have to inform the agent, who introduced the client in the first place?
      Thanks.
      Dave.
      You may not have a contract with the agency but the client most likely will. It'll undoubtedly cover introduced people like you and further direct relationships for a set time.

If you're directly talking to the client now, ask them to check their contract with the agency for the terms. It's an issue for them to fix with the agency, not one for you to fix.

Comment

The only reason I declined the offer was because of the rate. I did manage to drop in a conversation during the interview about what my rate expectations are. Looking at the reaction of the PM, I guessed that the agency is taking a cut of around 20%.
        I would be available in the market in next few weeks, so was just wondering, if I can approach the client directly, we could close the deal straight away. BTW the interview was about 5 months ago, so by the time, I would join them, it would be 6 months. The client is a small consultancy firm, with 20+ staff, and I am sure, the agent has got no other contractors on board, as most of the staff is permie.

Will give it a try though, and see if there is a scope.

Thanks all.
        Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
          Will give it a try though, and see if there is a scope.
          Definitely, go for it. As craig1 says, it's for the client to deal with the agency so just say nothing about this.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
          X