PDA

View Full Version : MOT retest question

Darren_Test
12th September 2011, 15:24
Hi Guys,

Another MOT question for your expert opinion..

My car failed in MOT due a windscreen chip & I repaired it (in another place) & brought back to same center in next working day thinking no retest fee under this MOT rule shown in VOSA site also the same shown in MOT failure notice ( VT30)..

01-09-06 MOT launch new re-test procedures (http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/newsandevents/pressreleases/2006pressreleases/01-09-06motlaunchnewre-testprocedures.htm)This VOSA link says...

If the vehicle is brought back to the same Testing Station by the end of the next working day for one or more of the following items only, a partial re-examination is again required and this re-examination is also free:
Bonnet, boot lid, brake pedal anti-slip, direction indicators, doors, dropsides, fuel filler cap, hazard warning, horn, lamps, loading door, mirrors, rear reflectors, registration plates, seatbelts (but not anchorages), seats, sharp edges or projections, steering wheel, tailboard, tailgate, vehicle identification number (VIN), windscreen and glass, windscreen wipers/washers, wheels* and tyres*.

This link clearly states Free retest if car is bought back to same test centre in next working day after test failure.

The MOT centre I have done charged me £2.50 lower than original test fee & when I pointed out VOSA guidelines they said "its up to the discretion of the test centre..!!"Please let me know...

MrRobin
12th September 2011, 15:42
All MOT test stations are required by law to display a 'VT9A Fees and Appeals' (http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT%20test%20fees%20and%20appeals%20aPR%2010.pdf)p oster. On the top right of the poster, it has the information you quoted above. Point it out to them?

If you still have no joy, try calling the VOSA helpline 0300 123 9000

eek
12th September 2011, 15:49
You got a cheap MOT because they wanted to sell you other goods and services. Instead of taking them up on the offer you then went and got the other items elsewhere. What exactly would you expect the bargain basement garage to do?

Support Monkey
12th September 2011, 15:54
Hi Guys,

Another MOT question for your expert opinion..

My car failed in MOT due a windscreen chip & I repaired it (in another place) & brought back to same center in next working day thinking no retest fee under this MOT rule shown in VOSA site also the same shown in MOT failure notice ( VT30)..

01-09-06 MOT launch new re-test procedures (http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/newsandevents/pressreleases/2006pressreleases/01-09-06motlaunchnewre-testprocedures.htm)This VOSA link says...

If the vehicle is brought back to the same Testing Station by the end of the next working day for one or more of the following items only, a partial re-examination is again required and this re-examination is also free:
Bonnet, boot lid, brake pedal anti-slip, direction indicators, doors, dropsides, fuel filler cap, hazard warning, horn, lamps, loading door, mirrors, rear reflectors, registration plates, seatbelts (but not anchorages), seats, sharp edges or projections, steering wheel, tailboard, tailgate, vehicle identification number (VIN), windscreen and glass, windscreen wipers/washers, wheels* and tyres*.

This link clearly states Free retest if car is bought back to same test centre in next working day after test failure.

The MOT centre I have done charged me £2.50 lower than original test fee & when I pointed out VOSA guidelines they said "its up to the discretion of the test centre..!!"Please let me know...

I used to be in the motor trade many years ago and i was always led to beleive this was down to the discretion of the test center, no help for you now but you might want to ask the question next time or look for someone who offers free retests

Interestingly a lot of people get caught out with the windscreen chip rule if the chip is in zone A it can be no bigger than 10mm if the chip is in zone D then it can be no bigger than 40mm however in theory if the screen is cracked 5mm in zone A and this extends 30mm into zone D this is a pass but most testers would fail you

Darren_Test
12th September 2011, 15:56
All MOT test stations are required by law to display a 'VT9A Fees and Appeals' (http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT%20test%20fees%20and%20appeals%20aPR%2010.pdf)p oster. On the top right of the poster, it has the information you quoted above. Point it out to them?

Thanks..I trying that. I am trying to convince test center with these leaflets, but some how they believe its up their "discretion"

Darren_Test
12th September 2011, 16:07
VOSA just confirmed I should have got free re-test in that condition. But they are asking me to complain to tradeing standards..!!

Spacecadet
12th September 2011, 16:09
Thanks..I trying that. I am trying to convince test center with these leaflets, but some how they believe its up their "discretion"

Try calling them "A bunch of thicko grease monkeys"
That should expediate matters

HTH

VectraMan
12th September 2011, 16:09
Why are you complaining on here? If the thing you posted are the actual rules, rather than guidelines or suggestions, then report them to VOSA.

I've always been told it's only a free retest if they keep the car. I got away with taking mine home to change the brake pads myself on one occasion, but they made it clear they were doing me a favour by not asking for a retest fee.

ASB
12th September 2011, 16:21
DT,

What did you book? Did your ring them up and book a test, a retest, or a partial examination ? They are different things. Were you there when they did it?

What did they actually do? In the case of the partial retest they should have simply observed the previously failed items and then pass it.

They have no right to charge for a partial exam; if they have done that and charged you for it then it is a trading standards matter. Sure you can whinge to VOSA but they won't be very interested.

If you booked a retest (easy mistake to make and they should perhaps have enquired whether that was what you really wanted) and they have done a retest then it seems their standard retest fee would be appropriate.

conned tractor
12th September 2011, 16:53
Sounds to me like their way to keep their advertised prices low, by doubling up on the advertised price - I'm sure MOT tester could find something wrong with 90% of cars if they tried hard enough.

Complain to trading standards if you like but don't expect to get your money back if you've already handed it over - which I expect you have.

Just don't what ever you do take your car back there unless your wearing a fake moustache and glasses. But at least you now have your MOT I should imagine.

Darren_Test
12th September 2011, 19:18
Full MOT story is like this..

1. Booked for test online for Saturday - Failed due to 8.3.1a - front windscreen damage to an area in excess of 10mm circle within Zone -A. Also an advisory item. Said they don’t have windscreen repair, told will give a quote through a chain for windscreen repairs.

2. Called up MOT centre today morning to get quote through them from the chain, they asked me to talk directly to them Tried 3/4 different chains & took car to a local glass repair guys as well - all of them refused to repair as its in Zone -A and given quotes for new windscreen from £150 - £290, for the same item..!!. Finally tried my luck with Glas Weld (Glas Weld Systems (UK) Ltd - Official Site - Repair Don't Replace - Windscreen Repair (http://www.glaswelduk.com)), repaired with in 30 minutes with less than £50 and given guarantee to pass MOT & promised full refund if it fails in MOT..!! ( I have to say these guys are fantastic - recommended to any one looking for windscreen repair over their well advertised cousins..!!!)3. Gone straight back to MOT centre with out any prior booking, after a bit of reluctance they agreed to do the retest.

4. Retest finished in 10 minutes & given retest invoice just £2.50 less than the charge for the initial test.

5. Showed the guys the note on VT 30 (refusal MOT) saying - free partial retest if removed form test station & retested with in end of next working day. After some initial confusion & consolations they came back saying its up to MOT centre’s discretion & requested to pay.

6. Reached home; after checking many sites & after seeing Mr.Robin's message (thanks for that) & after calling VOSA, rang back to confirm it with MOT centre. Their story not changed.

Next step planned to give them another chance to correct it then to trading standards..

Clippy
12th September 2011, 19:25
Where did you go for the MOT?

Was it one of the large chains like Kwik Fit or a council run test centre.

TimberWolf
12th September 2011, 19:32
This is the kind of thing that puts me off MOTs. Having cars checked for road worthiness each year is a good thing, but in reality it's more a question of how much you will get ripped off this year. Once your car is in a garage the feeding frenzy can begin. If you've got away with only paying twice for an MOT I'd say you've done well, this year. They'll get you next year if you go back :eyes

I once asked a garage to do a MOT and a quick service and was presented with a bill for £500 and I'm sure stories like that could go on and on... MOT time is less to do with safety than to do with the yearly compulsory rip off avoidance. I might try one of those special test centres next time, assuming they aren't booked solid and are with a reasonable driving distance.

Darren_Test
12th September 2011, 20:03
Where did you go for the MOT?

Was it one of the large chains like Kwik Fit or a council run test centre.

local one..fearing rip off avoided cheaper large chains..no council one near me...

eek
12th September 2011, 20:06
local one..fearing rip off avoided cheaper large chains..no council one near me...

Was it cheap or full price (£54.85).

SueEllen
12th September 2011, 20:33

Did you ask someone for a recommendation?

There are local ones and local ones you want to avoid.

wim121
12th September 2011, 21:09
I used to be in the motor trade many years ago and i was always led to beleive this was down to the discretion of the test center, no help for you now but you might want to ask the question next time or look for someone who offers free retests
Indeed!

Im a bit baffled by the OP. I ring around to get the best price every year. I can accept most people wont do this, but from experience of owning older cars, I always ask them "will you charge me a retest fee?".

I got my last car, MOT'd for £35 instead of £45 just by ringing a couple of places and haggling. I could get one for £28 or £30 but all three of those places stated they charge a retest fee.

It isnt uncommon, for testers to be more "strict" if they charge a retest fee, to find the smallest amount of play or worn bush.

wim121
12th September 2011, 21:10
Was it cheap or full price (£54.85).

Who would ever pay that? :eek :eek :eek

doodab
12th September 2011, 21:59
The rules were changed in about 2006 or so i think.

Darren_Test
13th September 2011, 09:04
The rules were changed in about 2006 or so i think.

Yes..thats what this link says - change from 2006 to stop rip off..!!

01-09-06 MOT launch new re-test procedures (http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/newsandevents/pressreleases/2006pressreleases/01-09-06motlaunchnewre-testprocedures.htm)

eek
13th September 2011, 09:07

Is the garage open on Sunday? I can see their reply already.

Churchill
13th September 2011, 09:08
Is the garage open on Sunday? I can see their reply already.

Eyes, boy! Use them.

Darren_Test
13th September 2011, 09:09
Indeed!

Im a bit baffled by the OP. I ring around to get the best price every year. I can accept most people wont do this, but from experience of owning older cars, I always ask them "will you charge me a retest fee?".

I got my last car, MOT'd for £35 instead of £45 just by ringing a couple of places and haggling. I could get one for £28 or £30 but all three of those places stated they charge a retest fee.

It isnt uncommon, for testers to be more "strict" if they charge a retest fee, to find the smallest amount of play or worn bush.
No..this is not MOT center's discretion...Its mandatory to provide free retest if brought back to same test center with in end of next working day after fixing issue for certain issues as listed in this link. That’s what VOSA told me as well.

01-09-06 MOT launch new re-test procedures (http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/newsandevents/pressreleases/2006pressreleases/01-09-06motlaunchnewre-testprocedures.htm)

Darren_Test
13th September 2011, 09:14
Eyes, boy! Use them.

well VOSA did foresee that loophole..!! As per rules Saturday & Sunday will not be considered as working days for MOT...! Its very clearly written in the certificates.

Churchill
13th September 2011, 09:16
well VOSA did foresee that loophole..!! As per rules Saturday & Sunday will not be considered as working days for MOT...! Its very clearly written in the certificates.

:yay::yay::yay:

TimberWolf
13th September 2011, 09:22
No..this is not MOT center's discretion...Its mandatory to provide free retest if brought back to same test center with in end of next working day after fixing issue for certain issues as listed in this link. That’s what VOSA told me as well.

I wonder how well that works in practise?

Option 1: Yes sir, we are booked solid for the next 2 weeks but will happily drop what we are doing and take your car back whenever you wish to drop by and do a second MOT for free.
Option 2: Never heard of you mate. Up to our discretion. Too busy, etc.
Option 3: We've found something on the retest. Big bill I'm afraid and now your options are rather more limited, check out the VOSA rules. Can you leave it with us for 2 weeks?

Darren_Test
13th September 2011, 09:32
Did you ask someone for a recommendation?

There are local ones and local ones you want to avoid.

I have to say these guys were resonable with test, there wasn't any surprises. Failure & advisory were what I expected.

So either they are not aware of this rule or they normally give "center's discretion" excuse close the cases...

Darren_Test
13th September 2011, 09:35
I wonder how well that works in practise?

Option 1: Yes sir, we are booked solid for the next 2 weeks but will happily drop what we are doing and take your car back whenever you wish to drop by and do a second MOT for free.
Option 2: Never heard of you mate. Up to our discretion. Too busy, etc.
Option 3: We've found something on the retest. Big bill I'm afraid and now your options are rather more limited, check out the VOSA rules. Can you leave it with us for 2 weeks?

Yes..they could say they are fully booked next day & avoid re-test. In this case they were sure they are going to get fee so they were ready to do re-test even with out booking.

Darren_Test
13th September 2011, 09:49
I saw this link in Kwik-fit site, which clearly says in my case re-test is free as per VOSA rules.

Free Re-Test (http://www.kwik-fit.com/mot-re-test.asp)

Darren_Test
17th September 2011, 19:13

Finally MOT retest issue sorted. Very reluctantly MOT centre refunded retest cost. They tried all tricks to avoid refund. I noticed information displayed in their notice board (poster Mr Robin mentioned above) & showed them & same print out was with me as well. Finally they played a 'drama' - 'senior most' guy came out and gave a 'lecture' to others saying - "this is the case my law need to give free retest" & apologised for the 'mistake'.

Thanks to all here..much appreciated..