• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MOT retest question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOT retest question

Hi Guys,

Another MOT question for your expert opinion..

My car failed in MOT due a windscreen chip & I repaired it (in another place) & brought back to same center in next working day thinking no retest fee under this MOT rule shown in VOSA site also the same shown in MOT failure notice ( VT30)..

01-09-06 MOT launch new re-test procedures
    This VOSA link says...

If the vehicle is brought back to the same Testing Station by the end of the next working day for one or more of the following items only, a partial re-examination is again required and this re-examination is also free:
    Bonnet, boot lid, brake pedal anti-slip, direction indicators, doors, dropsides, fuel filler cap, hazard warning, horn, lamps, loading door, mirrors, rear reflectors, registration plates, seatbelts (but not anchorages), seats, sharp edges or projections, steering wheel, tailboard, tailgate, vehicle identification number (VIN), windscreen and glass, windscreen wipers/washers, wheels* and tyres*.

This link clearly states Free retest if car is bought back to same test centre in next working day after test failure.

The MOT centre I have done charged me £2.50 lower than original test fee & when I pointed out VOSA guidelines they said "its up to the discretion of the test centre..!!"Please let me know...
    Last edited by Darren_Test; 12 September 2011, 15:32.

All MOT test stations are required by law to display a 'VT9A Fees and Appeals' poster. On the top right of the poster, it has the information you quoted above. Point it out to them?

If you still have no joy, try calling the VOSA helpline 0300 123 9000
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

You got a cheap MOT because they wanted to sell you other goods and services. Instead of taking them up on the offer you then went and got the other items elsewhere. What exactly would you expect the bargain basement garage to do?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
        Hi Guys,

Another MOT question for your expert opinion..

My car failed in MOT due a windscreen chip & I repaired it (in another place) & brought back to same center in next working day thinking no retest fee under this MOT rule shown in VOSA site also the same shown in MOT failure notice ( VT30)..

01-09-06 MOT launch new re-test procedures
        This VOSA link says...

If the vehicle is brought back to the same Testing Station by the end of the next working day for one or more of the following items only, a partial re-examination is again required and this re-examination is also free:
        Bonnet, boot lid, brake pedal anti-slip, direction indicators, doors, dropsides, fuel filler cap, hazard warning, horn, lamps, loading door, mirrors, rear reflectors, registration plates, seatbelts (but not anchorages), seats, sharp edges or projections, steering wheel, tailboard, tailgate, vehicle identification number (VIN), windscreen and glass, windscreen wipers/washers, wheels* and tyres*.

This link clearly states Free retest if car is bought back to same test centre in next working day after test failure.

The MOT centre I have done charged me £2.50 lower than original test fee & when I pointed out VOSA guidelines they said "its up to the discretion of the test centre..!!"Please let me know...
        I used to be in the motor trade many years ago and i was always led to beleive this was down to the discretion of the test center, no help for you now but you might want to ask the question next time or look for someone who offers free retests

Interestingly a lot of people get caught out with the windscreen chip rule if the chip is in zone A it can be no bigger than 10mm if the chip is in zone D then it can be no bigger than 40mm however in theory if the screen is cracked 5mm in zone A and this extends 30mm into zone D this is a pass but most testers would fail you

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
          All MOT test stations are required by law to display a 'VT9A Fees and Appeals' poster. On the top right of the poster, it has the information you quoted above. Point it out to them?

If you still have no joy, try calling the VOSA helpline 0300 123 9000

Thanks..I trying that. I am trying to convince test center with these leaflets, but some how they believe its up their "discretion"

Comment

VOSA just confirmed I should have got free re-test in that condition. But they are asking me to complain to tradeing standards..!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
              Thanks..I trying that. I am trying to convince test center with these leaflets, but some how they believe its up their "discretion"
              Try calling them "A bunch of thicko grease monkeys"
              That should expediate matters

HTH
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Why are you complaining on here? If the thing you posted are the actual rules, rather than guidelines or suggestions, then report them to VOSA.

I've always been told it's only a free retest if they keep the car. I got away with taking mine home to change the brake pads myself on one occasion, but they made it clear they were doing me a favour by not asking for a retest fee.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

DT,

What did you book? Did your ring them up and book a test, a retest, or a partial examination ? They are different things. Were you there when they did it?

What did they actually do? In the case of the partial retest they should have simply observed the previously failed items and then pass it.

They have no right to charge for a partial exam; if they have done that and charged you for it then it is a trading standards matter. Sure you can whinge to VOSA but they won't be very interested.

If you booked a retest (easy mistake to make and they should perhaps have enquired whether that was what you really wanted) and they have done a retest then it seems their standard retest fee would be appropriate.

Comment

Sounds to me like their way to keep their advertised prices low, by doubling up on the advertised price - I'm sure MOT tester could find something wrong with 90% of cars if they tried hard enough.

Complain to trading standards if you like but don't expect to get your money back if you've already handed it over - which I expect you have.

Just don't what ever you do take your car back there unless your wearing a fake moustache and glasses. But at least you now have your MOT I should imagine.

Comment

Working...
                    X