• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The weather

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The weather

was that it? Summer over.

The forecast is 13 degrees C over the weekend, at the hottest point of the day. 18 degrees the historical average.

Time to buy a sledge and some warm clothes. Brrrr.

Apparently cotton = bad for winter, even for socks. Cotton + water (or sweat) + winter = death.

Wool = good. Newspaper aint bad either.

What about Gold?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      What about Gold?
      A good conductor of heat, so bad in winter, scortchio in summer. Good for reflecting light and heat though, so okay in summer and winter if not in contact with the body. Doesn't breathe, so golden underwear and socks out. Not solid gold anyway.

Comment

What about Gold?
        Gold Facts

Thermal Reflectivity – Gold is the best reflector of long wavelength thermal radiation. High purity gold reflects up to 99 percent of infrared rays. As the most efficient thermal reflector, gold finds use in laser-cavity mirrors, infrared night-surveillance scopes, protective coatings on firefighters’ visors, space satellites and aircraft cockpit windows.

Plate the inside of your clothes with gold.

Comment

Sounds good but I'd still prefer a wooly sweater than coffin made of gold.

Comment

So, we've just established that a nice wool sweater is worth far more than its weight in gold in such circumstances.
            What does a sweater weigh?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              What does a sweater weigh?
              Stop making up what I said!

Comment

Definitley looking like autumn this past week up here. Since Katia visited a lot of leaves have gone before they turned brown so adding to the picture.

Temperatures this week will vary between 13 and 16°C maximum dropping to a low of 7°C which is rather cool for mid September.

According to some forecasts we're about six weeks away from the first snow.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Stop making up what I said!
                  Well your worth of weight in gold presented in a more amenable mathematical form is the ratio price/weight, or the reciprocal. So we need the weight and price of a wool sweater to compare against the gold weight/price, which is easy to look up.

It's currently £37,400 / kg.

So the sweater ratio has to be less than that. I expect a sweater weighs about a kilogram, so £37,400 would be a very expensive wool sweater. I guess you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    According to some forecasts we're about six weeks away from the first snow.
                    Bring it on - this time around I don't have PAYG power meter

Comment

Working...
                    X