• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deflation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deflation

Inflation = good stories coming out thick and fast. Inflation our saviour. Top news story on ITV news.

Maybe buttering us up for what's to come? And who believes the 5% figure anyway?

And the bank of England are still saying inflation will fall sharply to 2% in the next 18 months 'or so'.

They've been saying that for how many years now?

Local cafe' increased prices by around 10%.

Rail tickets next year going up by 8%.

Did anyone notice anything of regular use that got cheaper?

Comment

Hard times a-coming...

Here's a thought though, how many of us could survive another major downturn? Plan B is stalled, current gig is ticking over but no guarantees. Would maybe be hard to find another gig but could still survive writing and playing tunes which would help preserve the warchest.

I'm not particularly worried but... well, just but.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Local cafe' increased prices by around 10%.

Rail tickets next year going up by 8%.

Did anyone notice anything of regular use that got cheaper?
        I saw a toaster in Sainburys today for £4, but already got one I bought 10 years ago. Mostly seeing 30%+ inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Hard times a-coming...

Here's a thought though, how many of us could survive another major downturn? Plan B is stalled, current gig is ticking over but no guarantees. Would maybe be hard to find another gig but could still survive writing and playing tunes which would help preserve the warchest.

I'm not particularly worried but... well, just but.
          I'm alright as long as I can keep rolling the debt over and find 10 days a month of work, but I'm not paying it off and another six months on the bench will see me finished. So essentially I'm clinging on by the skin of my teeth.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            help preserve the warchest.

Hope you're not relying on the banks to preserve it for you.

Even if you managed to find an inflation busting rate of interest on your savings, I'm very nervous about the banks needing bailing out again and it being so bad even the govermint can't afford it without serious deflation of savings by 'printing' trillions of pounds.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              And the bank of England are still saying inflation will fall sharply to 2% in the next 18 months 'or so'.

Saw on the late news last night that various cretins involved with the BoE decision making, or 'expert' commentators, were saying that current inflation trends aren't a problem and are good for the economy as it helps the recovery.

One also mentioned that house prices need a boost.

This economics stuff must have several levels. I'm only on level one, where if the consumer can't afford the bills he ain't going to be buying tat from the shops, leading to more job losses and the cycle repeating. How's the recovery going to do then?
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                Saw on the late news last night that various cretins involved with the BoE decision making, or 'expert' commentators, were saying that current inflation trends aren't a problem and are good for the economy as it helps the recovery.

One also mentioned that house prices need a boost.

This economics stuff must have several levels. I'm only on level one, where if the consumer can't afford the bills he ain't going to be buying tat from the shops, leading to more job losses and the cycle repeating. How's the recovery going to do then?
                If every penny that most people have is spent before it arrives, then that is by definition a booming economy, because they couldn't spend any more any quicker.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Only very specific parts of the economy would be booming (mandatory service providers such as gas, leccy, water, food, petrol) where the majority would be in recession.

I expect it's like that in all recessions as people still have to eat and keep warm, so there are always sectors that do ok if not well in a recession while the majority suffer.
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Awful. My megabusiness profits have dropped from a huge £2k 2 years ago to almost zero.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X