• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winter of discontent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter of discontent?

Unions planning 'series of national strikes'

The UK's biggest trade unions have drawn up plans for a sustained campaign of industrial action involving several one-day national strikes. Until now it had been assumed there would be a single day of action in November. But a senior union leader has confirmed that the action will be more sustained and involve millions of workers.

Widespread industrial action could start by late November.

The peasants are revolting...
    Me, me, me...

Tube union has done a deal for not striking:

Tube drivers are to be given £1,200 'bribes' during the Olympic Games to ensure they do not strike, documents have revealed.

Drivers will receive a flat-rate bonus of £500 for working during the games and overtime of £32 per hour , according to the London Evening Standard.

All 2,300 drivers on the Tube, who earn a basic salary of £42,750 , will receive a flat-rate £500 bonus.

London 2012 Olympics: Underground drivers given £1,200 'bribe' to turn up | Mail Online

Comment

I wonder how much popular support they'll get? Not that much I'll wager.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Tube union has done a deal for not striking:
        At those rates they should just make them all contractors, and not pay them if they don't turn up.

Then again, I can't help but feel sorry for the mole eyed buggers.
        They have to spend all day driving what is effectively a large mechanical tapeworm through the grimy bowels of london

Comment

It's a cheap deal well made before Olympics actually start - no point taking chances especially given militancy of the union.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            It's a cheap deal well made before Olympics actually start - no point taking chances especially given militancy of the union.
            RMT hasn't agreed yet according to the ES.

I'm sure that **** Bob Crowe will try and bleed us for a bit more. ****.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              I'm sure that **** Bob Crowe will try and bleed us for a bit more. ****.
              It's his job.

Comment

We are still recovering from the impact of the last one day strike !!! There was like......and then....Oh, hang on, now I remember, the impact was f**k all.
                Oddly, if the gov had suggested public sector workers take a day off without pay to reduce the cost this year, there would have been hell to pay. This way, they think it's their idea, sounds like a win-win, take one a month see if anyone notices.....

Comment

Digby Jones made union leader Prentice sound a complete c*** on the radio this morning.

I don't reckon there's much public support for these strikes.

Comment

Working...
                  X