PDA

View Full Version : Winter of discontent?

Cliphead
13th September 2011, 21:26
Unions planning 'series of national strikes' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14907909)

The UK's biggest trade unions have drawn up plans for a sustained campaign of industrial action involving several one-day national strikes. Until now it had been assumed there would be a single day of action in November. But a senior union leader has confirmed that the action will be more sustained and involve millions of workers.

Widespread industrial action could start by late November.

The peasants are revolting...:eyes

TimberWolf
13th September 2011, 21:33
Tube union has done a deal for not striking:

Tube drivers are to be given £1,200 'bribes' during the Olympic Games to ensure they do not strike, documents have revealed.

Drivers will receive a flat-rate bonus of £500 for working during the games and overtime of £32 per hour :eek, according to the London Evening Standard.

All 2,300 drivers on the Tube, who earn a basic salary of £42,750 :eek:, will receive a flat-rate £500 bonus.

London 2012 Olympics: Underground drivers given £1,200 'bribe' to turn up | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2037004/London-2012-Olympics-Underground-drivers-given-1-200-bribe-turn-up.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)

Doggy Styles
13th September 2011, 21:36
Unions planning 'series of national strikes' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14907909)I wonder how much popular support they'll get? Not that much I'll wager.

CheeseSlice
13th September 2011, 21:48
Tube union has done a deal for not striking:

At those rates they should just make them all contractors, and not pay them if they don't turn up.

Then again, I can't help but feel sorry for the mole eyed buggers.
They have to spend all day driving what is effectively a large mechanical tapeworm through the grimy bowels of london :grey

AtW
13th September 2011, 21:51
It's a cheap deal well made before Olympics actually start - no point taking chances especially given militancy of the union.

Moscow Mule
13th September 2011, 22:07
It's a cheap deal well made before Olympics actually start - no point taking chances especially given militancy of the union.

RMT hasn't agreed yet according to the ES.

I'm sure that **** Bob Crowe will try and bleed us for a bit more. ****.

AtW
13th September 2011, 22:09
I'm sure that **** Bob Crowe will try and bleed us for a bit more. ****.

It's his job.

lukemg
14th September 2011, 09:06
We are still recovering from the impact of the last one day strike !!! There was like......and then....Oh, hang on, now I remember, the impact was f**k all.
Oddly, if the gov had suggested public sector workers take a day off without pay to reduce the cost this year, there would have been hell to pay. This way, they think it's their idea, sounds like a win-win, take one a month see if anyone notices.....

Doggy Styles
14th September 2011, 09:13
Digby Jones made union leader Prentice sound a complete c*** on the radio this morning. :laugh

I don't reckon there's much public support for these strikes.