• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of buying this Jag

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of buying this Jag

This little beaut seems relatively cheap for the mileage, and I wondered if there might be a catch.

Maybe a 2.5 litre engine is underpowered for the weight.

Any resident car experts care to speculate?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

It's cheap because it's an x-type, the glorified Mondeo
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      It's cheap because it's an x-type, the glorified Mondeo
      How very Mike Baldwin dare you say such a thing!
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        How very Mike Baldwin dare you say such a thing!
        Sadly it seems the truth hurts. for that age you really only want an s-type, the x-type is a not quite as well built mondeo.

try 2004 JAGUAR S-Type 3.0 V6 SE
        Last edited by eek; 14 September 2011, 08:54.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Why do you think it's cheap? Parker's say's it about right...

Original Price £27,470
          Franchised dealer £4,840
          Independent £4,540
          Private £4,095

(prices for 50k miles)
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            This little beaut seems relatively cheap for the mileage, and I wondered if there might be a catch.
            There is a catch; it's a second hand car and it isn't German. Sorry to seem terribly conservative about this, but it's just my own experience.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I would buy newer or lower milage. For an everyday car I wouldn't want more than 30K on the clock and would set my sights accordingly. German cars are not all they are cracked up to be either. For reliability buy mainstream Japanese (Honda, Nissan or Toyota).
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                I would buy newer or lower milage. For an everyday car I wouldn't want more than 30K on the clock and would set my sights accordingly. German cars are not all they are cracked up to be either. For reliability buy mainstream Japanese (Honda, Nissan or Toyota).
                Mondeos are very underrated by the way. They are like Ronseal, does what it says on the can.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Good cars these, but sadly unable to compete with german saloons they were pitched at. The estate with decent alloys is particularly nice I think.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Sadly it seems the truth hurts. for that age you really only want an x-type, the s-type is a not quite as well built mondeo.
                    I hate all these model numbers, X-type, S-type, XS-type, etc, etc (not sure if the last exists). They all sound the same.

I can never remember the model of my Jag, which is rather embarrassing when a garage asks for it on the phone.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X