• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has tesco bashing gone to far?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has tesco bashing gone to far?

BBC News - Tesco sausage advert banned for misleading consumers

I do have some sympathy for them. It sounds like these ones are at least made from pigs which is something.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Hmmm, having seen the state of the countryside economy in both Britain and Holland I get pretty sick of supermarkets presenting this image of happy farmers and free roaming pigs when the reality is grumpy gits having to squeeze more and more animals into confined spaces, stuff them full of antibiotics which then endanger the whole human population, never let them see the light of day and then earn a pittance on each animal.

Trouble is, people demand cheap meat.

Don't think it's fair to only pick on Tesco though.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Hmmm, having seen the state of the countryside economy in both Britain and Holland I get pretty sick of supermarkets presenting this image of happy farmers and free roaming pigs when the reality is grumpy gits having to squeeze more and more animals into confined spaces, stuff them full of antibiotics which then endanger the whole human population, never let them see the light of day and then earn a pittance on each animal.

Are you saying that Dutch bacon really is Tulip?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

We keep getting told we're demanding cheap meat, but surely it's only like Big Brother, Celebrity twatface arse wrestling etc just cos we're told it's what we want, doesn't mean it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          We keep getting told we're demanding cheap meat, but surely it's only like Big Brother, Celebrity twatface arse wrestling etc just cos we're told it's what we want, doesn't mean it is.
          Exactly. I demand good meat. Price is a secondary concern, and meat in the UK is hardly cheap even when it's tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Exactly. I demand good meat. Price is a secondary concern, and meat in the UK is hardly cheap even when it's tulip.
            WDS.

Find yourself a good butcher that you trust. Essential.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

I long ago met a farmer who said he wouldn''t eat his own produce because it was too full of growth hormones and antibiotics. I found a local butcher who could tell me which farms his animals came from. The local butcher actually worked out cheaper than the big supermarkets too.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                I long ago met a farmer who said he wouldn''t eat his own produce because it was too full of growth hormones and antibiotics. I found a local butcher who could tell me which farms his animals came from. The local butcher actually worked out cheaper than the big supermarkets too.
                Meat is no longer cheap and it’s not the farmer who gets the money. It’s the supermarket.

I now buy free range meat from a local farm. It is the same price as factory farm meat at the supermarket.

The only down side is being too friendly my future dinner when I go there.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  The only down side is being too friendly my future dinner when I go there.
                  Exactly what Zeity used to say on his way to work at his education establishment.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    YOU demand good meat, I demand good meat too and will pay the price for it. However, there are millions more consumers who don't even know what good meat is, having been brought up on chicken that has no more taste than polystyrene, pork that's similar, beef that's bright red, 'fresh' (which is not a quality indicator for beef), low fat and again lacking in taste. Even here in the country ( in fact even more so in the country), people have learned to eat what the supermarket offers and don't even know the pleasure of pork from a pig with a varied diet, chicken that eats farmyard scraps as it roams around, never mind well aged marbled beef.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X