• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting back to ITrated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting back to ITrated

Hi all,

Brief story is I left IT in 2003 to start another career in Art and antiques, this has led me to going out of business due to the recession and I want to get back to IT, I've always kept reasonably up to date on current technology and have done some coding from time to time in relation to my art business (e-commerce).

My general skills which still seem sharpish in my own head are, SQL, ASP, VB, PHP.

My question is how to get back to the contracting market, I can learn C# and ASP.net at home and produce some example projects, will this be sufficient to reenter to contracting market or would I be best getting a Job to start?

Originally posted by regza View Post
    Hi all,

Brief story is I left IT in 2003 to start another career in Art and antiques, this has led me to going out of business due to the recession and I want to get back to IT, I've always kept reasonably up to date on current technology and have done some coding from time to time in relation to my art business (e-commerce).

My general skills which still seem sharpish in my own head are, SQL, ASP, VB, PHP.

My question is how to get back to the contracting market, I can learn C# and ASP.net at home and produce some example projects, will this be sufficient to reenter to contracting market or would I be best getting a Job to start?
    IMHO, very little, too much has changed and you've no real-world experience anymore. Sorry.

Comment

All you can do is apply for various contracts, make your CV look as good as you can, and hope. Applying for permie positions in parallel would seem sensible.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'm not sure why any agent would put you forward for a contract if you haven't been in IT since 03, but maybe you can outright lie/ blag it.

Comment

You could do with a lucky break of sorts. I suggest you sell yourself dirt cheap for 6 months to a cash-strapped client who has some legacy VB/ASP stuff to do; then after 6 months move to a client who needs hybrid VB/C#; then you'll be able to call yourself a reasonable junior dev.
          SQL doesn't really count as a skill unless you're a full-on SQL Server/Oracle developer/DBA. Fortunately, most of the best people working nowadays won't touch classic ASP or pre-.NET VB with a bargepole, so there's a gap there for you.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            You could do with a lucky break of sorts. I suggest you sell yourself dirt cheap for 6 months to a cash-strapped client who has some legacy VB/ASP stuff to do; then after 6 months move to a client who needs hybrid VB/C#; then you'll be able to call yourself a reasonable junior dev.
            SQL doesn't really count as a skill unless you're a full-on SQL Server/Oracle developer/DBA. Fortunately, most of the best people working nowadays won't touch classic ASP or pre-.NET VB with a bargepole, so there's a gap there for you.
            Having spent today fixing tulip classic ASP I can agree with that. Unfortunately its a mission critical system, a rewrite would take 4 man years and no one will bite the bullet.

I'm not risking going there again so I'm not taking the renewal that's now been offered.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Having spent today fixing tulip classic ASP I can agree with that. Unfortunately its a mission critical system, a rewrite would take 4 man years and no one will bite the bullet.

I'm not risking going there again so I'm not taking the renewal that's now been offered.
              May be you should PM each other?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                May be you should PM each other?
                Sadly its going to be left to the permies. They really don't like contractors but I had SME that they needed. I can substitute but its the SME stuff they really want not the 40 or so languages I can vaguely code in.
                Last edited by eek; 14 September 2011, 19:46.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  ^^ WTLS.

If you expect any form of work after 8 years out it will be in the nitty-gritty sh*t that nobody else wants to touch. And probably at 'temporary' perm rates at that. Meanwhile maybe get some certs, but try and be good at whatever you do. People can make good money on crap technologies.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Try a permie council Job

Originally posted by regza View Post
                    Hi all,

To get you back in the door, this will bring you up till at least 2005, after a few years you can quit as a permie and get a council contract and a few years after that perhaps you can blag it in the real world.

Comment

Working...
                    X