PDA

View Full Version : So, what is stopping the price of Gold rocketing skyward?

Churchill
14th September 2011, 13:00
Any ideas from you brainy investment types?

Doggy Styles
14th September 2011, 13:01
It's heavy.

Doggy Styles
14th September 2011, 13:01
It conducts too much electricity.

Spacecadet
14th September 2011, 13:02
Lack of affordable rockets

Churchill
14th September 2011, 13:03
Aw come on chaps FFS, don't derail my thread, it was a serious question.

Arturo Bassick
14th September 2011, 13:06
Aw come on chaps FFS, don't derail my thread, it was a serious question.It was begging for all those (excellent) comedy answers though.

Churchill
14th September 2011, 13:07
It was begging for all those (excellent) comedy answers though.

Granted. However, anticipating said comedic interlude I did ask what was stopping the "price", not the actual Gold itself.

Peoplesoft bloke
14th September 2011, 13:07
I'm not a serious investment type but it seems to me -

If widespread defaults occur (many countries) in some ways it will be less serious - the world has to keep turning and basic stuff needs to be traded (food etc), so perversely, the worse things get, the less point there is in holding gold - after all you can't eat it, and if no-one wants it or can afford to buy it because they are now spending all they have staying alive; it becomes irrelevant.

I would have thought that food and commodity prices will be under more pressure.

Spacecadet
14th September 2011, 13:12
Aw come on chaps FFS, don't derail my thread, it was a serious question.

Of all people to complain about that!!!!
:rollin:

Churchill
14th September 2011, 13:13
Of all people to complain about that!!!!
:rollin:

Hey! "Do as I say, not as I do" isn't a bad tenet to live by.

MarillionFan
14th September 2011, 13:16
Invasion from a far galaxy with giant 500ft Aliens made out of oil in giant gold & platinum space ships who get defeated when they give BP the contract for building drills to steal the earths water.

Oh that would also knock the oil price a bit.

Spacecadet
14th September 2011, 13:19
Invasion from a far galaxy with giant 500ft Aliens made out of oil in giant gold & platinum space ships who get defeated when they give BP the contract for building drills to steal the earths water.

Oh that would also knock the oil price a bit.

but would it mean more or less global warming?

MarillionFan
14th September 2011, 13:22
but would it mean more or less global warming?

Less. Well known that the Oil Aliens of Glacatus 3 use giant Ice Warriors from the Planet Dave. Be like dropping ice cubes in a glass of Pimms.

DimPrawn
14th September 2011, 13:24

DimPrawn is on your ignore list, cos he hasn't got a ******* clue.

Churchill
14th September 2011, 13:25
DimPrawn is on your ignore list, cos he hasn't got a ******* clue.

doodab
14th September 2011, 14:30
Perhaps everyone who wants it and can afford it already has as much as they want.

DimPrawn
14th September 2011, 15:07
Perhaps everyone who wants it and can afford it already has as much as they want.

Or everyone who wants it and can afford it is waiting for those who have it, but can't afford to keep it to sell it.

Same with houses.

SantaClaus
14th September 2011, 15:26

Well, investment banks such as JP Morgan will continue to manipulate the paper-based instrument.

Only physical gold is safe.

doodab
14th September 2011, 15:28
Perhaps things aren't really that bad?

Doggy Styles
14th September 2011, 16:09
Perhaps all those number-crunching investors have concluded that recent panic buying, especially by the amateurs, has way over-priced it.

Freamon
14th September 2011, 21:46
I had to sell some of my gold to take profits, so that's probably pushed the price down significantly.

SAS

DimPrawn
14th September 2011, 21:51
I had to sell some of my gold to take profits, so that's probably pushed the price down significantly.

SAS

sassy doesn't buy gold, he buys houses in Wandsworth which double in value every few weeks. This time next year some trillionaire will be begging him to sell it.

AtW
14th September 2011, 22:02
sassy doesn't buy gold, he buys houses in Wandsworth which double in value every few weeks. This time next year some trillionaire will be begging him to sell it.

WHS

The very houses next to that Wandsworth Her Majesty's Prison.

That's because he is worth it!