• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question on travel expenses - taxis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on travel expenses - taxis

Question on taxi receipts. I often get given receipts from cab drivers which are blank. Is it OK to fill them in myself, reflecting the amount paid? Or do HMRC during investigations assume dishonesty and not permit these receipts as claimable expenses?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Question on taxi receipts. I often get given receipts from cab drivers which are blank. Is it OK to fill them in myself, reflecting the amount paid? Or do HMRC during investigations assume dishonesty and not permit these receipts as claimable expenses?
    If you regularly use taxis for a set route then HMRC won't grumble if you're adding a similar value, just make sure it's dated. If you have a number of £100 taxi receipts all in the same handwriting then you might be in for a bit of rubber glove treatment over the rest of your accounts.

If you want that as proper documented advice, call HMRC and ask them. I know the lot I deal with for my accounts are usually happy to give me a reference number that I can quote if audited.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
      Do they have the cab/driver id number pre-printed on and the driver just signs them?

I often get giving receipts with that on so in theory HMRC could cross check.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yes, those cab drivers seem to hand out receipts (even whole books of blank receipts) without too much regard for what goes on them. Write the details on yourself, and then on the back a quick summary of the journey (To/From) and purpose for the trip. Then if the amount is ever queried, at least you could describe the journey, and the HMRC could decide for themselves if the amount paid collaborated with the distance. I doubt it would ever come to that, but there is no harm being prepared.

Whether the HMRC inspector would "assume dishonestly" would probably depend entirely on the person you get. In my experience most are friendly, courteous, and take the time to understand the underlying nature of any expense claims queried.
        2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
        X