• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do with an offset mortgage from a Spanish bank

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with an offset mortgage from a Spanish bank

I got round to reading the smallprint of my offset mortgage on my train home.

It's all coming out tomorrow and being shunted into cash, linkers, gold whatever before they change the rules on me.

Originally posted by moorfield View Post

It's all coming out tomorrow and being shunted into cash, linkers, gold whatever before they change the rules on me.
    Hmm one reason why I only use First Direct. I didn't trust anyone apart from HSBC when I looked around in 2006 and nothing has changed my opinion since then.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Hmm one reason why I only use First Direct. I didn't trust anyone apart from HSBC when I looked around in 2006 and nothing has changed my opinion since then.
      HSBC+1
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

What small print in offset mortgages should we be concerned about?
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          What small print in offset mortgages should we be concerned about?
          I was wondering about that? I have a Woolwich one.

I assume he means that the bank can invoke a clause to reduce your offset(ie remove funds) if the LTV drops(ie they rerate your property).

I pay .48 over base so went and stuck it all in Isas and bonds in mine and wifes name to
          mitigate tax. Money for nothing.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I was wondering if it meant that should the bank go tits up then they keep any funds in the offset account by saying it doesn't cover the mortgage value, so a way of losing savings by being forced to pay off a chunk of mortgage at that point.

More succinctly, if the loan outstanding is greater than the funds in the offset account you get nothing back, but still have the remainder of the mortgage to find.

So not a safe heaven for savings, even if it is lowering the cost of borrowing.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post

Is that beginning with an "S"?

Whats changing?, I have my mortgage with them.

And I'm on a very healthy (for the mortgage not savings) .49% above base for term.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                Is that beginning with an "S"?
                That's the one. I can't be bothered to copy / paste verbatim but basically it reads "If we think we might go tits up we are going to convert you and that nice fat cash surplus you've given us onto a standard repayment mortgage while you're not looking".

So at base +75bp (slightly less generous than your +49bp) I've decided to take back my nice fat cash surplus and put it to work elsewhere. With 20yrs to go the mortgage is going to be inflated away to nothing anyway.

Feck it, maybe I'll just buy a Porsche and some lines of Coca instead.

Comment

Time to divert some funds from it's subsidiary CA?
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                  X