PDA

View Full Version : "man cave" do you have one?

alreadypacked
15th September 2011, 08:40
Do we have "man caves" this side of the pond, or do we just call them sheds!

Throughout history men have always created personal spaces where they retreat to be amongst friends. Lately, these places, called "man caves", have become a boom industry, with often more than $50,000 (£31,772) being spent on furnishing a single "cave".

BBC News - 'Man cave' boom in America explained (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14923750)

TimberWolf
15th September 2011, 08:42
Some shed jokes may be coming up.

KentPhilip
15th September 2011, 08:43
A shed load of jokes will be coming up

DS23
15th September 2011, 08:46
yes, i'm working in the shed / office / man cave right now.

doodab
15th September 2011, 08:55
I have an office. It also doubles as a library, music room, TV room and electronics lab. It's getting a bit crowded actually.

alreadypacked
15th September 2011, 08:57
yes, i'm working in the shed / office / man cave right now.

What was your budget for the decor?

Did you DIY or have someone in?

Churchill
15th September 2011, 09:05

Erm, it's a man cave, other than pictures of Monica, a PC, soldering iron and a fridge with beer in what else does one need?

sasguru
15th September 2011, 09:25
I spent £50K on one of these: Garden Studios | Sustainable Buildings | Garden Rooms/Offices/Housing - Ecospace Studios (http://www.ecospacestudios.com/)

It has some gym equipment, table football, TV, fully-stocked bar, sofabed (for guests), a loo and shower as well as my desk with Imac and laptop.

It's brilliant and I'd have one built when and if if I moved wherever.

Churchill
15th September 2011, 09:27
I spent £50K on one of these: Garden Studios | Sustainable Buildings | Garden Rooms/Offices/Housing - Ecospace Studios (http://www.ecospacestudios.com/)

It has some gym equipment, table football, TV, fully-stocked bar, sofabed (for guests), a loo and shower as well as my desk with Immac and laptop.

And it has lovely soft walls so I don't hurt myself!

It's brilliant.

:p

sasguru
15th September 2011, 09:28
:p

I'm not the one displaying their mental oddities on a forum.

HTH, BIDI

Churchill
15th September 2011, 09:30
I'm not the one displaying their mental oddities on a forum.

HTH, BIDI

I'm not the one with Immac on my desk...

sasguru
15th September 2011, 09:31
I'm not the one with Immac on my desk...

Epic fail.
HTH

doodab
15th September 2011, 09:33
Erm, it's a man cave, other than pictures of Monica, a PC, soldering iron and a fridge with beer in what else does one need?

Loudspeakers, an oscilloscope and some bongos.

Churchill
15th September 2011, 09:34

It has some gym equipment, table football, TV, fully-stocked bar, sofabed (for guests), a loo and shower as well as my desk with Immac and laptop.

It has a swimming pool that opens and Thunderbird one takes off, Palm trees that move so that Thunderbird 2 doesn't burn them!

It's brilliant, it's the bestest ever! I'm such a lucky lucky boy. Mummy made me write a letter to Father Christmas saying thank you!

ftfy :happy

Churchill
15th September 2011, 09:35
Loudspeakers, an oscilloscope and some bongos.

Good one.

A shed load of Daleks
15th September 2011, 09:53
There's a few of us in ours

DaveB
15th September 2011, 10:04
Do we have "man caves" this side of the pond, or do we just call them sheds!

BBC News - 'Man cave' boom in America explained (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14923750)

A gentleman does not have a "Cave", he has a Library. This is mine.

http://www.leatherboundbooks.com/media/louis-library-new2.jpg

or it would be if I had the money.

d000hg
15th September 2011, 10:08
I'm not the one displaying their mental oddities on a forum.Hmm.

I just have a home-office. It's the only room on the ground floor of a 3-storey town house and much colder than the upper floors so I call it "my dungeon" :)

Mich the Tester
15th September 2011, 11:25
A gentleman does not have a "Cave", he has a Library. This is mine.

http://www.leatherboundbooks.com/media/louis-library-new2.jpg

or it would be if I had the money.
I see you went for the 'bookshelf' style in disguising the harem doors. Much more tasteful, and certainly more humane than the 'Viennese basement' style.

ChimpMaster
15th September 2011, 12:20
I used to have my own space, mainly a study, or the integral garage with surround sound system, pool table and a refined assortment of alcohol. Now, however, I have no space to call my own - the wife, the kids, they have taken over the whole house and it is bloody damn annoying!

A man needs his space - I have tried explaining this to my wife but she doesn't care/understand!

doodab
15th September 2011, 12:43
A man needs his space - I have tried explaining this to my wife but she doesn't care/understand!

Sometimes you need to communicate more directly. Leave her. She will get it.

DS23
15th September 2011, 13:28

someone in? good lord no. the shed in question is 10 x 18 and was installed at the bottom of the garden by the previous owners as a classroom for their educated-at-home kids.

budget was a few days of my time taking all the stuff that had accumulated over the last eight years to the dump, then cleaning up the spider communities, relining the walls, moving ltd co documents from under the stairs to shed shelves, adding table, chair, wifi, guitar & amp, cross training machine thing... voila!

decoration is a few unwanted prints on the walls. klimt on my right, picasso on my left, kandinsky at the back.

as always the shed is starting to fill with stuff again. the cross training machine is being encroached... i need to execute a stuff execution again.

DS23
15th September 2011, 13:38
i forgot to add that having the space is terrific. it's easier to focus on work in my home made office environment rather than perched on a table in the house. it's also excellent for getting away from kid tantrums.

Churchill
15th September 2011, 13:39
someone in? good lord no. the shed in question is 10 x 18 and was installed at the bottom of the garden by the previous owners as a classroom for their educated-at-home kids.

budget was a few days of my time taking all the stuff that had accumulated over the last eight years to the dump, then cleaning up the spider communities, relining the walls, moving ltd co documents from under the stairs to shed shelves, adding table, chair, wifi, guitar & amp, cross training machine thing... voila!

decoration is a few unwanted prints on the walls. klimt on my right, picasso on my left, kandinsky at the back.

as always the shed is starting to fill with stuff again. the cross training machine is being encroached... i need to execute a stuff execution again.

The fridge!!! Where is the fridge?

Doggy Styles
15th September 2011, 14:42
I've got two. An office in the house, and a 10 by 20 shed I've recently built in the garden.

minestrone
15th September 2011, 15:43
I have a small home recording studio, there is a white board with a plan b todo list on it which I can use to say it is my office.

Fridge is first thing outside the door.

PRC1964
15th September 2011, 15:46

As important; The basin!!! Where is the basin? You need somewhere to relieve yourself.

DaveB
15th September 2011, 15:49
As important; The basin!!! Where is the basin? You need somewhere to relieve yourself.

Thats what the emty beer cans/bottles are for.

PRC1964
15th September 2011, 15:54
Thats what the emty beer cans/bottles are for.

Too risky, you might take a swig from the wrong one.

DS23
15th September 2011, 15:59

ah yes, good question. the big fridge is in another shed. shed 1.